Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 24, 2016, 04:50:52 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 21, 2016, 11:14:55 PM
My supervisor liked my monograph!   :bigspecs:

:frolic:

Excellent!  Was this the one on Macbeth?

:grin: No, I did that one for fun!

My paper was on the neuroscience of memory, more specifically how hippocampus-dependent  traumatic memories in adolescent males and females differ.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Wow xSP that sounds like some heady stuff. I told you before that you are a smart chick.  Your subject causes me to recall a down home expression of reality : "The older I get, the better I was".

There is a Teaching Company new release titled: How you Decide. The lecturer is Professor Ryan Hamilton at Emory university. One of the lectures is titled: The role of memory in decisions.  The course is actually focused on marketing but will have some other ramifications.  See www.thegreatcourses.com

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on November 24, 2016, 08:31:40 PM
Wow xSP that sounds like some heady stuff. I told you before that you are a smart chick.  Your subject causes me to recall a down home expression of reality : "The older I get, the better I was".

There is a Teaching Company new release titled: How you Decide. The lecturer is Professor Ryan Hamilton at Emory university. One of the lectures is titled: The role of memory in decisions.  The course is actually focused on marketing but will have some other ramifications.  See www.thegreatcourses.com

It's actually much simpler than it looks. :smilenod:  Even more specifically, it's about the so called "systems consolidation" (some memories are "transferred" from the hippocampus to the cortex as they age, and can lose contextual details in the process) which is fun because there isn't much consensus on the mechanisms underlying it yet. :grin:

I'll check those out, Icarus! :grin: It looks very interesting.

No one

Lobster.
Steak.
Crab.
Shrimp.
Clams.
Prosciutto.
Mushrooms. (The good kind)
Omelettes.
Bacon.
Pancetta.
RUSH.
Pizza.
Everything bagels.
Cinnamon rolls.
Cheeseburgers.
Cheesecake.
Anejo Tequila.
Lobster.
Tacos.
Burritos.
Enchiladas.
Ravioli.
Krabby patties.
Ahi.
Eel.
Lobster.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 24, 2016, 07:21:23 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 24, 2016, 04:50:52 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 21, 2016, 11:14:55 PM
My supervisor liked my monograph!   :bigspecs:

:frolic:

Excellent!  Was this the one on Macbeth?

:grin: No, I did that one for fun!

My paper was on the neuroscience of memory, more specifically how hippocampus-dependent  traumatic memories in adolescent males and females differ.   

Woo hoo!!  Impressive!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Ran a small errand for a friend.

Her dog, a terrier lurcher type, very attractive, very much like the one in the picture but female and prettier in the face, had been dumped outside a pet sanctuary just when Lisa wanted a new pooch. She did not just fall hook, line and sinker for "Treacle" but threw in the rod, keep net, stool, creel etc as well! That was about two years ago.

But Treacle had evidently not had a happy life, for the first couple of years it was constant "greet/flight" conflict for her - tail going furiously but hiding behind Lisa or furniture. I might get one high-speed lick from her or a couple of ear scratches in, but that was all.

Have not seen Treacle for about 6 months. Today - almost different dog, still the conflict to start but within five minutes she was constantly asking for scratches around the head and chest. Back and rear still sensitive but she put up with some scratching there after half an hour.

Lisa says she now eats without waiting for permission ditto going out to the back garden and coming in.

Glad to see it!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

So nice to hear about an animal that was possibly mistreated or abused get a loving home, Gloucester! Those types of stories are definitely ones to put a smile on my face :grin:

xSilverPhinx

I just got one of two monograph evaluations back...95 out of a 100. :grin: Now I need to see what mark I got in the second evaluation and my final grade for the end of course work will be an average of the two.

Hopefully it'll be an A, let it be an A, I think I deserve an A...

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2016, 06:37:05 PM
I just got one of two monograph evaluations back...95 out of a 100. :grin: Now I need to see what mark I got in the second evaluation and my final grade for the end of course work will be an average of the two.

:hug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Just got the second evaluation...100%!

This means I got an A!  :dance:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on November 28, 2016, 07:37:10 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2016, 06:37:05 PM

:hug:

:hug2: :jumps:

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2016, 09:48:31 PM

Splendid news, xSilverPhinx:brava:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Thanks, Recusant! :grin:

Well, that took up a huge portion of my life these past 3 weeks or so.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2016, 09:48:31 PM

Excellent!!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.