News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

We bought a new (to us) car today. It is a 2005 Mazda Tribute, gold with a light gold interior. It has had one other owner and only had 57,000 miles on it. A few dings here and there, as expected with an 11 year old car, but otherwise in excellent condition. I've not taken a picture of it yet.

We were going to wait, but the truck is slowly failing. Once we save a bit more money, we're going to get a new car, retire the truck and the Mazda will be our second vehicle.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Kekerusey

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 02, 2016, 07:52:37 PMJust think of how much more you'll enjoy it with the anticipation built up.

Or possibly with the firing pin removed.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 03, 2016, 12:28:18 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 02, 2016, 07:52:37 PMJust think of how much more you'll enjoy it with the anticipation built up.

Or possibly with the firing pin removed.

Keke

That would just bring it right back to my baseball bat.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on September 02, 2016, 11:40:43 PM
We bought a new (to us) car today. It is a 2005 Mazda Tribute, gold with a light gold interior. It has had one other owner and only had 57,000 miles on it. A few dings here and there, as expected with an 11 year old car, but otherwise in excellent condition. I've not taken a picture of it yet.

We were going to wait, but the truck is slowly failing. Once we save a bit more money, we're going to get a new car, retire the truck and the Mazda will be our second vehicle.

Sounds like a great plan.  Nothing better than reliable transportation.
Sandy

Kekerusey

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 03, 2016, 12:36:05 AMThat would just bring it right back to my baseball bat.

I'm fine with that ... just imagine how many lives would have been saved if the guns had been replaced with bats (of any sort).

Keke

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 03, 2016, 12:39:47 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 03, 2016, 12:36:05 AMThat would just bring it right back to my baseball bat.

I'm fine with that ... just imagine how many lives would have been saved if the guns had been replaced with bats (of any sort).

Keke

Not sure G85 is planning on shooting people . . . but on the other hand, he is a ninja.   :unsure:
Sandy

Kekerusey

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 03, 2016, 12:41:40 AMNot sure G85 is planning on shooting people . . . but on the other hand, he is a ninja.   :unsure:

I assume most people who buy guns don't *plan* on shooting people ... the fact is that guns are designed to kill, that is their primary purpose, I therefore question why ordinary people need them at all.

Keke

Guardian85

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 03, 2016, 12:46:18 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 03, 2016, 12:41:40 AMNot sure G85 is planning on shooting people . . . but on the other hand, he is a ninja.   :unsure:

I assume most people who buy guns don't *plan* on shooting people ... the fact is that guns are designed to kill, that is their primary purpose, I therefore question why ordinary people need them at all.

Keke
Well the small game hunting season kicks off on the 10th, and the big game season on the 24th.

Very hard to get rabbits and moose (mooses, meese?) with a bat. Not to mention the grouse and geese. 8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Velma

Quote from: Guardian85 on September 03, 2016, 01:21:42 AM
Quote from: Kekerusey on September 03, 2016, 12:46:18 AM

Keke
Well the small game hunting season kicks off on the 10th, and the big game season on the 24th.

Very hard to get rabbits and moose (mooses, meese?) with a bat. Not to mention the grouse and geese. 8)
Congrats on the new rifle. I am sure you will be a very responsible gun owner. Good luck during big game season. :)
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Quote from: Velma on September 03, 2016, 01:53:13 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on September 03, 2016, 01:21:42 AM

Congrats on the new rifle. I am sure you will be a very responsible gun owner. Good luck during big game season. :)

Thanks. Our party of 8 have a quota of one bull and two yearlings. Obviously I hold out hope of being the one to bag a big bull on my first hunt. Would make an awesome hunting story.

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 03, 2016, 12:41:40 AM
Not sure G85 is planning on shooting people . . . but on the other hand, he is a ninja.   :unsure:
Well, I don't have any specific plans for shooting people, but if the Russians finally come across the border in a big way all bets are off.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Kekerusey

Quote from: Guardian85 on September 03, 2016, 03:01:39 AMWell, I don't have any specific plans for shooting people, but if the Russians finally come across the border in a big way all bets are off.

Well fighting for country, family and friends is different.

Apologies to all if I was harsh last night, I was on the train after six pints of "Old Speckled Hen" and, having already fallen asleep at my first connection point (woke just as the doors were shutting) but made my second doing my damndest to stay awake for the hour journey to my home town. I managed it though.

Alcohol ... proof of the existence of god, gods, satan, demons, angels, UFOs and that the moon landings were faked ... er ... but ... er ... I do like beer :)

Keke

OldGit

Yup, the Old Speckled Hen is a good beer.  Send some to Putin and maybe he'll get too mellow to invade Scandinavia.

Asmodean

Quote from: G85
Well, I don't have any specific plans for shooting people, but if the Russians finally come across the border in a big way all bets are off.
That's not unlike what some rednecks with massive arsenals say, though usually about their own government. The thing to remember is, though, that civilians with small arms are not an effective fighting force in warfare dominated by aviation, long-range artillery and heavily fortified personnel carriers.

I think many "gun people" kid themselves about the relative effectiveness of their private arsenals (especially in their own hands) in an open warfare situation. If the Russians came across the border in a big way, I would consider joining some existing underground movement or establishing my own with the purpose of going guerilla-ass-terrorist on their asses. Probably some hacker outfit. I have no illusions of being at all useful during the open armed conflict though.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Quote from: Asmodean on September 03, 2016, 02:28:07 PM
Quote from: G85
That's not unlike what some rednecks with massive arsenals say, though usually about their own government. The thing to remember is, though, that civilians with small arms are not an effective fighting force in warfare dominated by aviation, long-range artillery and heavily fortified personnel carriers.

I think many "gun people" kid themselves about the relative effectiveness of their private arsenals (especially in their own hands) in an open warfare situation. If the Russians came across the border in a big way, I would consider joining some existing underground movement or establishing my own with the purpose of going guerilla-ass-terrorist on their asses. Probably some hacker outfit. I have no illusions of being at all useful during the open armed conflict though.
The difference between the average redneck and myself is that I have had military training, and have maintained an above-average skill at marksmanship.
The guerilla-ass-terrorist thing is a good idea,though. Someone with a good rifle and training would be able to assassinate enemy occupiers  from a distance.

It never ceases to amaze me how effectively we can derail a thread.... we went from "reasons to be cheerful" to "sniping russkies" in just 5 posts!  :???:

-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Guardian85 on September 03, 2016, 06:13:00 PM
The difference between the average redneck and myself is that I have had military training, and have maintained an above-average skill at marksmanship.
The guerilla-ass-terrorist thing is a good idea,though. Someone with a good rifle and training would be able to assassinate enemy occupiers  from a distance.
Precisely! Rather than dying in the initial assault because that APC's armor was more than what a hunting rifle could penetrate, go underground, pick up a few more tricks than marksmanship and do what the underdogs in asymmetric warfare have been doing very successfully for decades.

It never ceases to amaze me how effectively we can derail a thread.... we went from "reasons to be cheerful" to "sniping russkies" in just 5 posts!  :???:
Is not sniping fools a reason to be cheery?  8)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.