News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Headed out to Fenway Park to see Pearl Jam for the... hmm... 7th time?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Arturo

Suicide Squad is a stupendous movie! Another piece that the critics were totally wrong about.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Guardian85

I rather enjoyed it as well.
Not too enthusiastic about the Joker's new look, but Leto really nailed the portrayal otherwise.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Hey! This is my 500th post!

:party:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on August 08, 2016, 09:04:17 PM
Hey! This is my 500th post!

:party:

A whopping average of 11.111 per day!  :shocked: Congrats!   :drink:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

:clapping:  Another 500 and you can have a lovely fork, spoon, or knife!  :smilenod:

:secrets1: You can also have a spork...if you like that sort of thing.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on August 09, 2016, 06:00:07 AM
:clapping:  Another 500 and you can have a lovely fork, spoon, or knife!  :smilenod:

:secrets1: You can also have a spork...if you like that sort of thing.  :grin:

WOW!

:heyhey:

xSilverPhinx

Had some financial problems but they were solved! :whew:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

My precious little boy began kindergarten today.  :frolic:
:weepy:

I got an email yesterday it said:
Quote...your child has been selected based on academic achievement to receive instruction in K and 1st grade standards.
...He's so smart.  :tellmemore:

Probably gets it from his dad.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on August 11, 2016, 05:20:03 PM

Quote...your child has been selected based on academic achievement to receive instruction in K and 1st grade standards.

Good stuff! So, another  brainbox in the family?

Guardian85

You know you're tabbing through the Norwegian woods when you suddenly find a

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on August 11, 2016, 05:32:16 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on August 11, 2016, 05:20:03 PM

Good stuff! So, another  brainbox in the family?
It's too soon to tell, but it looks like it.  ;D

Some of you are probably wondering what "academic achievement" means, especially at age 5. It just means that in kindergarten he already knows things most kids are supposed to know by 1st grade like: Writes his name and last name, recognizes upper/lower case letters and the sounds they make. Recognizes shapes, counts to 100, reads three letter words, creates patterns, adds, etc. The school combines kindergarteners who already know these things with the kids in 1st grade who just learned these things last year, that way; the kindergarteners are not "bored" for a whole year learning things they already know.

I highly recommend preschool. It really helps prepare them for kinder. Not all kids learn at the same pace, but from age 4 to 5 he learned all these things. If you wait to enroll them in kindergarten, they'll learn these things from age 5 to 6.   

Dave

Never quite got the American grade system. Here seems to be the "Year" counts.

But, yes, anecdotes from friends indicates that pre-school is a real boost. Kids learn from day one, make use of the faculty!