Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

King Edwards or Jersey Royals?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

I'll be almost anything other than a "pink fir apple"!

Nice spud but . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Guardian85

Quote from: Buddy on August 03, 2016, 03:35:22 AM
To celebrate finding a better job, I decided to treat myself and order a pair of bonnet stripes for my Mini. It's going to look so cute with them on.

Quote from: Recusant on August 03, 2016, 04:19:36 AM
It'll go faster, too.   :D

And it is a scientific fact that vehicles with stripes are quicker then vehicles without.  8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Quote from: Guardian85 on August 03, 2016, 04:35:17 PM
To celebrate finding a better job, I decided to treat myself and order a pair of bonnet stripes for my Mini. It's going to look so cute with them on.

And it is a scientific fact that vehicles with stripes are quicker then vehicles without.  8)
Painted on stripes maybe, the edges of the stick-on ones only increase the drag factor

:grin:

Asmodean

Quote from: Guardian85 on August 03, 2016, 04:35:17 PM

Since Gloucester took care of the sciency bit already(depends on the relative slipperiness of stripe material to car paint, by the way),

Go-faster stripes making shit faster, it's a Top Gear fact, which is the next thing to a religious fact when it comes to being scientific. I'm above average interested in cars, but I would not stick racing stripes on anything less than a sports car, which would not normally need them to be cool anyways. A pickup truck is not a sports car. Neither is a van. Neither is anything named Kia, Hyundai, Suzuki, Proton or Sang Yong. I actually saw stripes on a Ssang Yong once. *shudder*
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Quote from: Gloucester on August 03, 2016, 04:58:36 PM
Painted on stripes maybe, the edges of the stick-on ones only increase the drag factor

Nuh-uh! I'm pretty sure it has to do with laminar air flow, and if anything decal stripes increase that effect.  :smug:  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on August 03, 2016, 05:11:15 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 03, 2016, 04:58:36 PM

Nuh-uh! I'm pretty sure it has to do with laminar air flow, and if anything decal stripes increase that effect.  :smug:  ;)

:thinking:

Depends where the stripes are and at which point, between the very front and back wheel arch or the back edge of the roof, turbulence free laminar flow develops. If ever.

Cars with stick-on stripes front to back will go faster than those with stripes side to side.

But then, basing this on my work in the flow of water in pipes it might only apply in very heavy rain. Or driving through full storm drains in submersible Minis . . .

Tank

The last few posts demonstrate that people who join forums will argue about anything!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on August 03, 2016, 06:03:14 PM
The last few posts demonstrate that people who join forums will argue about anything!

I would like to take issue with your statement, Tank . . .

But that would only confirm it.

:blush:

Recusant

Perhaps, but I would posit that what Gloucester and I have produced is an intentional parody of such an argument.  :P
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

News:
Nitpicky? Hell yes.  :P

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on August 03, 2016, 08:03:05 PM

Perhaps, but I would posit that what Gloucester and I have produced is an intentional parody of such an argument.  :P
"parody"
  :query:

Thought it was a valid scientific discussion . . .

Been working on designs for a submersible Mini to test my theory. Going to take a lot of duct tape , WD40 and bath sealant though. Oh, and two very big balloons, one for the air in and one for the exhaust out. Know all too well what a flooded exhaust pipe does!

Recusant

Excellent! I see a groundbreaking paper published in a reputable fluid mechanics journal in your future.  :)
— H. L. Mencken