News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on April 12, 2016, 05:44:26 PM
I'm finally out of hospital, after almost 3 weeks.  I'm picking up strength after the heart attack, but the continuing effects of the drug reaction are more annoying, even though not life-threatening.

I'm very grateful for all the good wishes on facebook.  I've not been able to read the forum, and I've not a lot of energy to join in.  However I'll work my way through the backlog bit by bit.  Thanks for the support, everybody!

So glad to see you're back, OldGit!  :postoday:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Velma

I'm finally out of hospital, after almost 3 weeks.  I'm picking up strength after the heart attack, but the continuing effects of the drug reaction are more annoying, even though not life-threatening.

I'm very grateful for all the good wishes on facebook.  I've not been able to read the forum, and I've not a lot of energy to join in.  However I'll work my way through the backlog bit by bit.  Thanks for the support, everybody!
:party:
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Recusant

Outstanding news! It's really good to see you here again.  :dance:

Best wishes from both myself and Lark for a smooth and swift recovery. :cheers:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Two words.

Liverpool.

Semi-Finals.

Greatest comeback ever.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 15, 2016, 03:12:44 PM
Two words.

Liverpool.

Semi-Finals.

Greatest comeback ever.

I'm not quite sure it beats their Champions League Final of 2005.  I was a student living in Liverpool on that night, even as a United fan I got excited about that final and comeback.  I remember when the final penalty went in you actually heard the roar on the streets and people went out onto the street to party. 

Crow

Quote from: Claireliontamer on April 15, 2016, 03:48:58 PM
I'm not quite sure it beats their Champions League Final of 2005.  I was a student living in Liverpool on that night, even as a United fan I got excited about that final and comeback.  I remember when the final penalty went in you actually heard the roar on the streets and people went out onto the street to party.

I was in Liverpool for that game as well, the whole city was buzzing beforehand then went mental afterwards. Last nights game was very good but was only the Europa League.
Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Claireliontamer on April 15, 2016, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 15, 2016, 03:12:44 PM
Two words.

Liverpool.

Semi-Finals.

Greatest comeback ever.

That is true, comparisons have been made...two of the greatest comebacks ever, maybe?

Anywho' I'm sure it was very quite in Old Trafford, or Stretford, or is it Manchester? (I get confused with all of your cities, villages, and boroughs)

:???:

I had an NCO in the Army, a Staff Sgt. by the name of Fano who was from the UK. I would tease him about where he was from as he would say, I live in Blackburn, near West Lothian outside Glasgow, or something like that.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Crow

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 15, 2016, 05:26:24 PM
That is true, comparisons have been made...two of the greatest comebacks ever, maybe?

Anywho' I'm sure it was very quite in Old Trafford, or Stretford, or is it Manchester? (I get confused with all of your cities, villages, and boroughs)

:???:

I had an NCO in the Army, a Staff Sgt. by the name of Fano who was from the UK. I would tease him about where he was from as he would say, I live in Blackburn, near West Lothian outside Glasgow, or something like that.

Nope that would be 2012 Premier league last day of the season. Manchester United and Manchester City are on equal points, United need City to lose or draw to win the title due to goal difference, Manchester United win there game, City are losing 2-1 in extra time with 4 mins to go, the camera looks to Ferguson and the rest of the team, they look jubilant thinking there is no way they can comeback in that time frame, Djecko gets a goal and equals it, with only a min left Aguero rips through the defence and gets a goal, the commentators lose their shit, everyone lose their shit, the camera cuts to Ferguson as he finds out the news, from a smile to a smacked arse in the blink of an eye. The final whistle goes and the pitch is invaded. Half the city go insane the other half shut the fuck up for a good while
Retired member.

Velma

My department at work is responsible for dealing with problem orders and making sure they get shipped. For years it was the red-headed step-child of the company because we don't really generate production numbers. That started to change once we got a new client with a huge account. The client demanded a penalty clause if we didn't get a certain percentage of their orders out within 10 days. Not a big deal, you say? But the product is prescription medications, the client is part of the federal government and the penalty is fine of tens of thousands of dollars per "miss." Suddenly the company realized that working with problem orders really was important.

The past few months, we've been getting staffing and training, bigwigs coming down to the production floor to ask us how we are doing, computers and other equipment we've been needing, and people coming from other sites to help us get reorganized. It has been really great to finally be getting credit and recognition for what we do. It really was funny the first couple of times folks from upstairs came down to our area. Normally we don't see them unless there is a disaster. You can imagine the looks we were giving each other when we were told they just wanted to see how we were doing and that there was no disaster.

However, the best thing has been the new supervisor at night. He's really laid-back and funny. He'd worked with our department a bit before his promotion, so he knows the area and the people. He just stands back and lets up get on with it. He's there if we have a question or need help and offers suggestions if he sees something we could be doing in a way to make it easier or more efficient. He's the best supervisor I've ever worked with.

It also helps that I have great coworkers. We all get along and no one is territorial. There is a lot of collaboration and back-and-forth, which is what you need when you work in a department whose sole reason for existence is to resolve problems. It is not perfect, but all-in-all, I am very happy and really do enjoy my job.

Although it has been strange to go from being an understaffed, underfunded, and ignored, department stuck in a corner to being the cornerstone of keeping one of our biggest accounts happy and all the attention that goes with it.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Hardvark

Quote from: Velma on April 15, 2016, 07:29:15 PM
My department at work is responsible for dealing with problem orders and making sure they get shipped. For years it was the red-headed step-child of the company because we don't really generate production numbers. That started to change once we got a new client with a huge account. The client demanded a penalty clause if we didn't get a certain percentage of their orders out within 10 days. Not a big deal, you say? But the product is prescription medications, the client is part of the federal government and the penalty is fine of tens of thousands of dollars per "miss." Suddenly the company realized that working with problem orders really was important.

The past few months, we've been getting staffing and training, bigwigs coming down to the production floor to ask us how we are doing, computers and other equipment we've been needing, and people coming from other sites to help us get reorganized. It has been really great to finally be getting credit and recognition for what we do. It really was funny the first couple of times folks from upstairs came down to our area. Normally we don't see them unless there is a disaster. You can imagine the looks we were giving each other when we were told they just wanted to see how we were doing and that there was no disaster.

However, the best thing has been the new supervisor at night. He's really laid-back and funny. He'd worked with our department a bit before his promotion, so he knows the area and the people. He just stands back and lets up get on with it. He's there if we have a question or need help and offers suggestions if he sees something we could be doing in a way to make it easier or more efficient. He's the best supervisor I've ever worked with.

It also helps that I have great coworkers. We all get along and no one is territorial. There is a lot of collaboration and back-and-forth, which is what you need when you work in a department whose sole reason for existence is to resolve problems. It is not perfect, but all-in-all, I am very happy and really do enjoy my job.

Although it has been strange to go from being an understaffed, underfunded, and ignored, department stuck in a corner to being the cornerstone of keeping one of our biggest accounts happy and all the attention that goes with it.
Agreed, just a bit of recognition at work goes a long way, being happy in your work makes life easier. :)

Tank

Bloody marvellous!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

It's good to know you're happy, at work, Velma:hug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant