News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Firebird on March 25, 2016, 06:39:40 PM
Been waiting a while to post this one,  as it's not totally public yet (so no Facebook comments), but we're  going to be parents ;D Due in October.
Oh, my Asmo!

That's great news! Congratulations!!!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Firebird

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 25, 2016, 07:40:05 PM
Congratulations, and how exciting for you both. This will be the first of at least six kids right?

:o
:rofl:

Thanks everyone! Been a roller coaster lately, and that was one reason the recent carbon monoxide leak was especially scary. Luckily she got blood tests immediately afterward and everything was OK. This will be the first grandchild on either side, so it's a pretty big deal. Hopefully we won't screw this up too much!
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Magdalena

I can feel all your energy, right now!  :grin:

Translation: You sound so happy, and excited, and I'm very, very happy for you and your lovely very pregnant wife.  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on March 26, 2016, 03:20:51 AM
Congratulations, and how exciting for you both. This will be the first of at least six kids right?

Thanks everyone! Been a roller coaster lately, and that was one reason the recent carbon monoxide leak was especially scary. Luckily she got blood tests immediately afterward and everything was OK. This will be the first grandchild on either side, so it's a pretty big deal. Hopefully we won't screw this up too much!
Get one side of the family to buy little clothes up to a year old and the other side to buy 1 year plus, otherwise you'll never wear all the stuff you get given!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Tank on March 26, 2016, 06:44:53 AM
Quote from: Firebird on March 26, 2016, 03:20:51 AM

Get one side of the family to buy little clothes up to a year old and the other side to buy 1 year plus, otherwise you'll never wear all the stuff you get given!

This is good advice but people will still buy you ridiculously impractical baby clothes just because they look cute. 

Whilst we're on this subject, why do babies need pockets in their clothes?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Claireliontamer on March 26, 2016, 03:22:32 PM

:notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 26, 2016, 04:40:45 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 26, 2016, 04:31:08 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 26, 2016, 03:42:47 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on March 26, 2016, 03:22:32 PM

:notsure:

Ah..... Um..... :notsure:
Well..... you see...  :thinking:

I've seen baby clothes with pockets bigger than most women's jeans. Ya know, because babies have so much stuff to carry.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 26, 2016, 10:49:46 PM
I've seen baby clothes with pockets bigger than most women's jeans. Ya know, because babies have so much stuff to carry.

I think that's the point. Like having an extra handbag.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

How devious, having an extra handbag disguised as a baby's outfit. I like it.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 27, 2016, 01:04:53 PM
How devious, having an extra handbag disguised as a baby's outfit. I like it.
^^^
:snicker:

Icarus

I am cheerful because I have a house guest who is from a whole 'nother culture.

Three years ago he subscribed to a forum that concerns boat design, building, operating, etc. I am a senior member there. Justinas sought advice about designing and building a tiny little sailboat.  After numerous posts between us we began to use PMs. About two hundred of them over three years. Somehow I became his mentor and we became virtual friends.

He is 25 years old, lives in Kaunas Lithuania. He has a masters degree in music and he is a spectacularly accomplished classical guitarist. Lithuania is a poor country where the average income is less than 10k per year. He had to be very careful with his boat building budget. Time went by and we arranged to have him visit the U.S. as my guest. I helped with transportation costs which he surprisingly managed  round trip tickets for the whole damned trip for less than $600 US. Amazing.

It has been a pleasant experience for my wife, Elaine, and me. He is a sophisticated and intelligent young man who speaks near perfect English. We rented a junk guitar with which he can make beautiful sounds.  I had no idea how complex an instrument the guitar can be although I have listened to the masters like Sergovia and others.

We have had a helluva good time. He is stoked with my small sailboat which he has spent several hours sailing and enjoying. He leaves to go back home on Wednesday to face another journey of 36 hours. ....Orlando to Boston to Amsterdam to Vilnius Lithuania, and then a bus ride of about 100 kilometers to his home in Kaunas. Plenty of layovers at the various terminals.

Of course we exposed him to all sorts of Americana, like Hooters, Lowes, local live theatre, a visit to Cape Canaveral to see the NASA exhibits, and all that kind of thing. One of the first carefully constructed, polite, questions that he asked was; Why are American women so fat?  Lithuanian women are predominantly slender it seems.

It has been a reason to be cheerful.

Tank

That sounds very enjoyable indeed. And why are American women fat?

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on March 28, 2016, 07:00:26 PM
That sounds very enjoyable indeed. And why are American women fat?

Actually more American men are overweight than women.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.