News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: OldGit on February 10, 2016, 05:37:47 PM
Hi, everyone!  We're getting really settled in the new home and all the cardboard boxes have been emptied.   However we won't get our own phone line for another two weeks, so no internet either.  We drop into my daughter's now and then and use hers, but it's a pain.
Pictures, or it didn't happen!   ::)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 11, 2016, 01:53:50 AM
Hi, everyone!  We're getting really settled in the new home and all the cardboard boxes have been emptied.   However we won't get our own phone line for another two weeks, so no internet either.  We drop into my daughter's now and then and use hers, but it's a pain.

Or better yet have us all over for Sunday Brunch so we can check out the new digs! If memory serves me correct I do believe Mrs Git is either a fabulous baker or cook.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Guardian85

Having finally gotten the funding sorted, I was able to buy tickets to the Sweden Rock festival this summer. Totally psyched!  8)
http://www.swedenrock.com/

Can't wait! Haven't been to a good rock concert since Ozzy Osbourne played Stavanger back in 2010.  :headbang:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on February 11, 2016, 02:47:49 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on February 11, 2016, 01:53:50 AM

Or better yet have us all over for Sunday Brunch so we can check out the new digs! If memory serves me correct I do believe Mrs Git is either a fabulous baker or cook.
Date, time and location and I'll be there!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on February 11, 2016, 02:47:49 AM. . . If memory serves me correct I do believe Mrs Git is either a fabulous baker or cook.

I can testify to her excellent culinary skills, both baking and cooking. :smilenod:

Glad to hear that the Gits are safely in their new home. Does it have a name?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Buddy

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 11, 2016, 12:11:40 PM
Having finally gotten the funding sorted, I was able to buy tickets to the Sweden Rock festival this summer. Totally psyched!  8)
http://www.swedenrock.com/

Can't wait! Haven't been to a good rock concert since Ozzy Osbourne played Stavanger back in 2010.  :headbang:

That looks like a really good list of bands. Have fun!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

Thanks for the good wishes, folks!  I really do wish I could have you all over for tea, but it's a long way for most of you.

Quote from: MagsHi, OldGit!  After everything you had to go through to get there, it's good to know you're finally getting settled in your new home.  :)

Thanks!  Yes, it was a bit frantic.  Still, it's a nice little place in a pleasant area, so worth it in the end.  Of course, we brought far too much stuff, but have almost finished weeding out the surplus.  Pip dog loves the Town Park opposite, which is about 500 acres of mostly scruffy woodland.

Yes, Recusant, we've just found out that it does have a house-name, but it's pathetic and I'm glad nobody ever uses it.

Excellent news for G85.

Claireliontamer

Glad to hear you're all moved now :)  Also, impressed that you've already unpacked everything!

OldGit

Quote from: ClaireliontamerGlad to hear you're all moved now :)  Also, impressed that you've already unpacked everything!

Thanks, Claire!  Well, it's true that all the boxes are empty and we have made progress, but there's still a hell of a lot to do.  ;D

Icarus

I will not equate my dilemma to OGs but we are in the process of re-modeling this old house. Holy Crow Batman! Moving and sorting all that "stuff" is a severe pain in the ass. So far I have loaded 16 boxes of books that need to be moved so that we can renew the paint, the carpets, and a lot of other things that have needed attention for a long time.

It all started when we adopted a little Australian shepard dog. At the first episode  when bringing him home , he shredded the carpet in one of the bedrooms. His name is Scooter and he is now nearly 15 years old, has developed a sense of discipline that is most commendable.  Then there was Teddy the Bernese mountain dog who became terminally sick. He , not of his own choosing, ruined the living room and dining room carpet. Teddy was a majestic individual who would make any sacrifice for his family. The carpets were done for nonetheless. I never blamed him or the Scooter for their unintential destructive exercises.  I took up the carpets a long time ago and we have lived with a concrete floor for several years. Of course entertaining guests were not on the agenda because our house was none too supportive of that kind of activity.

Now we are remodeling at the price of a prince's ransom. That means that we have to move furniture and corral all the "stuff" tat has been collected over all these years....16 of them. Some, or a greater part, of the stuff has to be disposed of. We need some of that stuff like we need a paper ass. Disposing of some of it has been traumatic. We have kept the prospect in mind that we are never going to need that Swavorski crystal or the Noritaki china, or the gazillion other long held treasures that are, in fact, only treasures of the mind .

Damn I hope that I survive all this new found "improvement".........Not to mention that the improvements are costly.

Meanwhile I sympathize with OG an Mrs. Git.  Changing your life style or your home is a not a natural or pleasant process. 

Tank

McLaren F1 just signed my son on for a further 3 years. He's out in Spain now testing the 2016 car.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2016, 06:49:27 AM
McLaren F1 just signed my son on for a further 3 years. He's out in Spain now testing the 2016 car.

Excellent!  He is living the life, isn't he?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 17, 2016, 06:57:13 AM

Oh yes. He's proposed to his long time partner and they are getting married in California, where her family lives, in 2017.

Velma

Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2016, 08:00:13 AM

Oh yes. He's proposed to his long time partner and they are getting married in California, where her family lives, in 2017.
That is all very good news!  :D

Something good might come from my fractured knee after all. Since I have to have a knee replacement, the settlement money will probably be enough for us to buy a new car outright. We are thinking about a small SUV or something like that. A vehicle that sits up a bit higher will be easier for both of us to get in and out of.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on February 17, 2016, 08:45:12 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2016, 08:00:13 AM

That is all very good news!  :D

Something good might come from my fractured knee after all. Since I have to have a knee replacement, the settlement money will probably be enough for us to buy a new car outright. We are thinking about a small SUV or something like that. A vehicle that sits up a bit higher will be easier for both of us to get in and out of.
Excellent!