News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Essie Mae on January 25, 2016, 11:14:17 PM
Gotta pack the laptop now. Just got back from meal in London with our daughter, and off to Oz, (Perth), tomorrow to see our son and granddaughter and daughter-in-law for 2 months, during which time our new granddaughter will be born. This will not be a holiday, but it will be great. Next time on HAF I will be in anything from about 28 to 40 deg C. :dance: :wave hi:

Pictures!  We want pictures!  And congratulations to son and daughter-in-law.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OldGit on January 27, 2016, 11:57:38 AM
At last, after several months of lawyers piddling about, we have exchanged contracts on our new home.  We move on Wednesday.

I'm aware that I haven't been joining in much lately; there's been a lot of stress and fuss.  After the move I hope I'll have time and leisure to start annoying you all with my silly posts.

I know I keep asking for these but . . . your next silly post must have a pic of the new house in it.  Not that I doubt its existence, I just want to see it.
Sandy

Velma

Good news regarding treatment of my knee. According to my rheumatologist, my orthopedist and the doctor who has been reading my x-rays are two of the best in their fields in Missouri. Doesn't make my knee heal any faster, however, I can be fairly certain that I will be getting good medical treatment and advice.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on January 29, 2016, 09:48:14 PM
Good news regarding treatment of my knee. According to my rheumatologist, my orthopedist and the doctor who has been reading my x-rays are two of the best in their fields in Missouri. Doesn't make my knee heal any faster, however, I can be fairly certain that I will be getting good medical treatment and advice.

They can't be that good if they're in fields!

:rimshot:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on January 29, 2016, 09:48:14 PM

Excellent!  That does something to boost the morale.
Sandy

Essie Mae

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 27, 2016, 11:06:34 PM
Gotta pack the laptop now. Just got back from meal in London with our daughter, and off to Oz, (Perth), tomorrow to see our son and granddaughter and daughter-in-law for 2 months, during which time our new granddaughter will be born. This will not be a holiday, but it will be great. Next time on HAF I will be in anything from about 28 to 40 deg C. :dance: :wave hi:

Pictures!  We want pictures!  And congratulations to son and daughter-in-law.
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 26, 2016, 02:09:12 PM

Congratulations on the new granddaughter, how fun and exciting, plus you get to stay there for two months visiting, that's special as well...sorry to hear about the 28 to 40 deg C weather though, sounds horrible. ::)

Seems everyone is having babies right now. A lady from our office just had her fourth granddaughter (No grandsons for her!), plus I'm aware of three other recent or upcoming "arrivals".

Must be the time of year.
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 26, 2016, 02:09:12 PM

Congratulations on the new granddaughter, how fun and exciting, plus you get to stay there for two months visiting, that's special as well...sorry to hear about the 28 to 40 deg C weather though, sounds horrible. ::)

Seems everyone is having babies right now. A lady from our office just had her fourth granddaughter (No grandsons for her!), plus I'm aware of three other recent or upcoming "arrivals".

Must be the time of year.
Quote from: Guardian85 on January 26, 2016, 08:52:05 AM
You lucky bastards!  8)

Have fun down under.

Not so smug now; thunder, some lightning and lots of rain here today.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Claireliontamer

My new phone has arrived.  My Samsung Mini has served me well, has been going strong for over 3-years now but is beginning to die on me.  So I'm now the proud owner of a Fairphone 2 :)

Biggus Dickus

^^New phones are always nice^^, especially when your old one has a crack in it.

Today is my 25th wedding anniversary...and it's kinda hard to believe. So much time, two kids grown, one married, the other in college.

We got married in this building, which is the mayoral palace in Comayagua, Honduras. I took this picture the last time we visited.

We were supposed to get married here, at the Cathedral de Comayagua, it's the oldest Cathedral in Central America (I actually think it is the oldest in the Americas, but not sure)
Built starting in 1634...

Like I said we were planning to get married here, but the Catholic Priest who ran the place back then was a prick. (I was an atheist then, but as my wife's family is Catholic (Let's face it the whole country is practically) and mine is Catholic as well so I thought it would be a nice place to get married, and Socorro (Wife) really, really wanted us to be married there.

First the prickly priest said we had to wait 6 months, but the Gulf War was going on at the time (I was in the Army), my unit was already deployed to Iraq...so I wasn't sure how long I would stay in Honduras (I was on a TDY assignment with JTF-Bravo located at Soto Cano Honduras)
I told the priest I didn't have 6 months to wait, that we need to get this going as soon as possible, so he changed it to three months which was still too long, but he wouldn't budge and allow us to plan it any sooner.

I told him we would get married regardless, and instead of us having a civil ceremony with the mayor why not just let us do it in the church and make everyone happy.

But no, he still wouldn't budge, church has rules he said, and guidance matters which can't be overlook with something so important as a marriage between two people, especially a latin girl and a gringo...but then he said he could probably work something out, but it would cost me...fucking dude wanted a bribe.

So I told him to shove it. (Don't tell Socorro, she already thinks I'm going to hell, if she knew I told a priest to fuck off to his face she'd kill me, as she's still Catholic).

Cathedral is beautiful, I always visit it when I'm there...anyway from what I understand the prickly priest later quit the order after getting his mistress pregnant, or something like that.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Claireliontamer

Happy Anniversary Bruno and Socorro :)

Magdalena

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on February 02, 2016, 02:50:30 PM
Today is my 25th wedding anniversary...and it's kinda hard to believe. So much time, two kids grown, one married, the other in college.
Congratulations, my friend. I hope you celebrate it in a nice way because 25 years is a quarter of a century and that's a mighty long time! I'm very happy for you and your lovely wife, Socorro. This is all I could get you guys on such short notice. :daisies:

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on February 02, 2016, 02:50:30 PM
Like I said we were planning to get married here, but the Catholic Priest who ran the place back then was a prick.
:snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Heh, "rule$" heheheh. Here's to the next 25!  :cheers:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Happy Anniversary, Bruno!  Anything special planned for tonight (that you care to share)?
Sandy

Icarus

Cheers for Socorro for having remained all these years with a nasty old atheist. Cheers also for Bruno for being part of the deal in making it a lasting relationship. May you have many happy returns of the anniversary event.

xSilverPhinx

Congrats Essie Mae and happy anniversary Bruno!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey