News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: philosoraptor on January 04, 2016, 10:00:39 PM
I just got notification that the bank that holds my private student loans has decided to forgive them, all $36,208.15. They've decided it's not worth trying to squeeze blood from an onion any more. Basically, my undergraduate degree is paid off. I still owe substantial federal loans, but they're much more manageable than the private loan sharks. I can't believe the threatening letters and phone calls are finally going to come to an end.  I'm still in shock, to be honest.
Wonderful news.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: philosoraptor on January 04, 2016, 10:00:39 PM
I just got notification that the bank that holds my private student loans has decided to forgive them, all $36,208.15. They've decided it's not worth trying to squeeze blood from an onion any more. Basically, my undergraduate degree is paid off. I still owe substantial federal loans, but they're much more manageable than the private loan sharks. I can't believe the threatening letters and phone calls are finally going to come to an end.  I'm still in shock, to be honest.
Well someone's year is off to a good start....  :)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Biggus Dickus

^^
That's is wonderful news philosoraptor!

Our niece and nephew along with their parents were staying with us all this week, they live in Honduras. And the two kids said I was the Coolest and Best Uncle in all of the United States (I'm # 2 in Honduras)

Coolest and Best Uncle!

In all of the US.

They gave me a certificate that say's this which is beautifully colored in pink, yellow and red crayon. (I took a picture, but it's hard to read because they wrote part if it in yellow)

That's pretty awesome...

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

I won £25 and 8 free tickets on lottery last night  :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on January 10, 2016, 05:51:38 AM
I won £25 and 8 free tickets on lottery last night  :D
And I won 390NOK in the national lottery. And promptly had to spend thrice that on a new car battery.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Velma

A bit of an update. Wednesday I saw the orthopedist. He is pleased with my progress, even though it has been slow. I no longer have to use the wheelchair at work. I use the rollalator. My first day to use it at work was Thursday. Of course, I overdid it and am still feeling the effects. Next week at work I am determined to be more mindful of my limits.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Quote from: Asmodean on January 10, 2016, 07:25:06 AM
Car acting up already..?  :o
-28c temperature killed the battery.

-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on January 10, 2016, 05:19:32 PM
A bit of an update. Wednesday I saw the orthopedist. He is pleased with my progress, even though it has been slow. I no longer have to use the wheelchair at work. I use the rollalator. My first day to use it at work was Thursday. Of course, I overdid it and am still feeling the effects. Next week at work I am determined to be more mindful of my limits.

Still, great news!  There's always some adjustment in breaking in gizmos to new places.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 11, 2016, 12:52:55 AM
Quote from: Velma on January 10, 2016, 05:19:32 PM

Still, great news!  There's always some adjustment in breaking in gizmos to new places.
Yes, there is. One good thing about the rollalator is that it fits through all of the access gates you have to go through to get into the building proper. The handicapped-accessible one is in the middle, so gets used most often - and is the one most often out-of-service because of that. Several times I had to call one of the security people away from the desk to move the cones and manually open the gate for me so I could get out.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

OldGit

At last the lawyers have finished all their arcane rituals and we've been told the final bit of paper for our house-move has been signed.  Now we all have to agree on a date, but we ought to be able to go within two weeks.  At last!

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on January 12, 2016, 07:16:43 PM
At last the lawyers have finished all their arcane rituals and we've been told the final bit of paper for our house-move has been signed.  Now we all have to agree on a date, but we ought to be able to go within two weeks.  At last!
Excellent news.

Insoluble

Rupert and Jerry.
Who'd of thought?
I'm happy, hope you're happy too