News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Finally I got to have a shower! I had just been doing sponge baths. Thankfully, with a shower chair, a hand held shower head, and a bit of help from my husband, I was able to take a full shower and wash my hair. Note to self: Next time, wash hair last.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Quote from: Claireliontamer on October 25, 2015, 07:32:30 PM

I need to book my hotel for the saturday night in Leeds.  Are we still partying that night?

That would be a resounding "Hell yes!" right there.  :beer:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

I get the day off tomorrow.  ;D

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on October 25, 2015, 08:56:49 PM
Finally I got to have a shower! I had just been doing sponge baths. Thankfully, with a shower chair, a hand held shower head, and a bit of help from my husband, I was able to take a full shower and wash my hair. Note to self: Next time, wash hair last.

Congratulations!  Hate sponge baths myself.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Claireliontamer on October 25, 2015, 07:42:45 PM
Am I best staying in the city centre or Leeds East near you?  All the people I know who live there, live chapel allerton way so it maybe too out of the way to stay with them.

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/145/Leeds-Colton-hotel

This is 500m from where I live. It's cheap and clean with easy parking.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Monday is a holiday!  :jumps:

I intend to make the most of it.  :smilenod:

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 31, 2015, 02:16:03 AM

So you're going to stay in bed?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Essie Mae

Off to see my aunt and uncle, (in their 80s) in Chichester for the day, (well Selsey actually, but whose ever heard of there?). My aunt is a very charismatic person in spite of having had a stroke five years ago which left her unable to walk, a paralysed right hand and word-finding problems. She can still hold a conversation and make us laugh but it is thanks to my saintly uncle that she is so well cared for. Extra cheerful because our daughter will meet us down there, and two of my aunt's grown up grandchildren will also be there.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on October 31, 2015, 07:25:32 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 31, 2015, 02:16:03 AM

So you're going to stay in bed?

I wish. Maybe for a little while longer than i usually do. ;)

I'm going to use the day to catch up on what I've been putting off all week, actually. I hope.

Insoluble

It is or recently was Melbourne Cup day.
It's a big thing, stops the nation.
A hundred to one shot got it.
It was ridden by a 30 year old girl.
Gorgeous speech.
I'm happy, hope you're happy too

Velma

My first day back at work went well. No sore muscles, although I can tell I used my arm and upper torso muscles more than usual. No problems getting around either, except that for some of doors I have to be perfectly lined up to get through them.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Icarus

I came late to the party. A short time ago I discovered BBC Proms.  I am hooked on the music that they do so well. For damned sure, Britain Has Talent. Their renditions of some of the Broadway music is smashing. I am enthralled by a soprano named Sierra Boggess. Wow !

HAFers who have not discovered BBC Proms, dial them up on YouTube. Try the segment that does the balcony scene from West Side Story to see their acting skills as well as the musical ones.  They do classical music as well as pop. Something for every one.

We Yanks once had a similar large and superbly talented orchestra called Boston Pops. They seem to have faded from popularity which I think a crying shame. 

Tank

Have you watched the last night of the proms yet? Always a bit of a lark.

OldGit

Sitting in the vast Albert Hall on the last night is an unforgettable experience, absolutely magic.  I've only ever done the last night twice because tickets are very expensive indeed.  The ordinary Proms are often good fun, too.

The last night used to be good on the TV, but they've spoilt it quite a lot in recent years.

xSilverPhinx

I made two-minute noodles without burning the house down, which is nice.