Where did you get your username from?

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 19, 2010, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on May 17, 2012, 03:15:44 PM
Quote from: Amicale on May 17, 2012, 02:59:58 PM
Maybe McD
We already has a McQ. Imagine the confusion..!  :D

Confusion's such a wonderfully inherent part of HAF already that one more little bit of it won't make any difference.   :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Amicale on May 17, 2012, 02:59:58 PM
Quote from: markmcdaniel on May 17, 2012, 02:45:03 PM
Not being an imaginative person and not wanting to be embarrassed by my cuteness later I just used my own name. Of course this my come back to haunt me when Big Brother sees what I have been up to.   

If for professional or personal reasons you realize you'd rather not use your full last name, I'm sure the mods could help you change it. Maybe McD or Mcdee or something similar. If you think Big Brother will find you anyway, well..... there are worse places one could be found.  ;D
I am not to worried that big brother is going to come after me. This could change of course. There was a court ruling recently that said that punching the like button on facebook is a political statement but not protected speech. In addition if some of the super religious fundie types, such as Santorum or Bachman, were to come to power being any type of free thinker might be a lot less viable. 
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on June 22, 2010, 06:34:22 AM
Asmodean is an antagonist in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (Brandon Sanderson)

The name is derived from the demon Asmodai (various ways of transliterating), one of the "Princes of Hell". I chose it because I like Jordan's character of Asmodean. He's pretty much a failure as antagonist, but he does play the harp and seems to only play sad, epic and epically sad pieces... Kind of like me. I'm not quite sure about the whole of it, but I can relate to that particular character really strongly.

I had to see what your reason was because I am playing Diablo 3 and the character Azmodan is mentioned who is a bit of a grey blob, is one of the great evils and has an army of minions. Plus you mentioned looting in video games a while back and Diablo is the daddy of all games that includes looting. I had never heard of the character anywhere else before. For those who have no idea what I am talking about.
Retired member.

waitin4godot

Mine is simply the title of an absurdist play by Samuel Beckett

Neal

Like many its my name (OK, its half my name).  I understand ones need for anonymity on the internet and perhaps this may prove to be the wrong decision for me, but I just think that when I leave a comment on the forum, that it's really my point.  I stand over it with my name.  Sounds biblical doesn't it.  Oh, its hard to let go...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Neal on June 03, 2012, 01:05:15 AM
Like many its my name (OK, its half my name).  I understand ones need for anonymity on the internet and perhaps this may prove to be the wrong decision for me, but I just think that when I leave a comment on the forum, that it's really my point.  I stand over it with my name.  Sounds biblical doesn't it.  Oh, its hard to let go...

It's a respectable sentiment, but if you there might be no need for worry since simply 'Neal' isn't enough info for people to find you based on your name. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Neal on June 03, 2012, 01:05:15 AM
Neal's a pretty common name. I'm Chris that's not a 'Google Friendly' name it gets 1,500,000,000 hits. Neal gets mere 133,000,000 hits  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Chris can also be short for Christian, Christopher and the like. Neal... Not so much.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

mp29

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

mp29

xSilverPhinx

Random? Could be, though I can't help seeing order in the way that 2 letters are grouped together followed by 2 numbers. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

The way I type, that user name would likely be my attempt at randomization with my right hand. Right index finger, right ring, thought: "Oh! Randomness!" left ring, right middle
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Asmo keeps his fingers poised on the home row.  Very good form.  I usually do too, except that when I have to hit the shift button while typing something that I would normally type with my left hand, it throws everything off and I have to type the letter with my right hand.  Stupid shift key.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on June 22, 2012, 04:36:32 PM
Asmo keeps his fingers poised on the home row.  Very good form.  I usually do too, except that when I have to hit the shift button while typing something that I would normally type with my left hand, it throws everything off and I have to type the letter with my right hand.  Stupid shift key.
The shift key can be problematic.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.