News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Where did you get your username from?

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 19, 2010, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: Unlinked on April 03, 2012, 11:04:44 PM
We interrupt this fascinating discussion on Roman culture...

My usual handles are only barely dignified enough to exist on role play sites, so I wanted something special for HAF. "Unlinked" comes from my story-in-planning which, considering my track record, will stay in planning at least until I graduate college. In this story, there's a machine called a link that you get injected into your brain that allows you to interact with all the futuristic technology that Mune (the planet/universe that most of the story takes place in) offers, but it comes with a price. In accepting a link, you also accept the constant surveillance of the Mind, a massive supercomputer that regulates every link and every thought from every person with a link. Muneish society is set up so that there's pretty much no reason to not get a link, but there are a few who realize how messed-up the whole system is and remain unlinked.

Now that sounds like an interesting story! Don't let it sit around gathering dust until you graduate. Just write it.  ;D I know more than a few people just off the top of my head who would pay to read that right now, in e-book format! Anyhow, cool username. :) I'd like to hope that in that scenario, I'd remain unlinked as well.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Unlinked

Quote from: Amicale on April 04, 2012, 12:34:23 AM
We interrupt this fascinating discussion on Roman culture...

My usual handles are only barely dignified enough to exist on role play sites, so I wanted something special for HAF. "Unlinked" comes from my story-in-planning which, considering my track record, will stay in planning at least until I graduate college. In this story, there's a machine called a link that you get injected into your brain that allows you to interact with all the futuristic technology that Mune (the planet/universe that most of the story takes place in) offers, but it comes with a price. In accepting a link, you also accept the constant surveillance of the Mind, a massive supercomputer that regulates every link and every thought from every person with a link. Muneish society is set up so that there's pretty much no reason to not get a link, but there are a few who realize how messed-up the whole system is and remain unlinked.

Now that sounds like an interesting story! Don't let it sit around gathering dust until you graduate. Just write it.  ;D I know more than a few people just off the top of my head who would pay to read that right now, in e-book format! Anyhow, cool username. :) I'd like to hope that in that scenario, I'd remain unlinked as well.

Gaaah, but there's so much planning to be done! I have to design at least the basic culture for four more alien races and the physical designs for two of them. I'm not even satisfied with the personality and history of the main character yet. And the time travel--it's... coming. But that's enough ranting. I think I'm just afraid to start out wrong and screw something up that'll become important later. XD

xSilverPhinx

As a sci-fi fan, I'll say that your storyline so far looks very interesting  8)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Unlinked

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 04, 2012, 01:07:37 AM

As a sci-fi fan, I'll say that your storyline so far looks very interesting  8)

Thanks >w< Here's hoping it stays interesting when it's all written.

The Magic Pudding

Alistair Reynolds has done something a bit like that but that shouldn't be discouraging.  With smart phones we are already part way there so further exploration of the implications is worthwhile.

I'm not meaning to be negative for the sake of it but I don't like the word Mune.  Dune is cool, Mune feels like mewl.

Unlinked

Really? What story? I'd like to see as much material as I can that's gone over any similar subject, halfway for other ideas and halfway so I don't inadvertently do something too similar to what's already been done. And yeah, that's why I have no smartphone and no Facebook. They feel too much like the Mind.

Really? Pronounced myoon? Yeah, I guess so. I made that name a long time ago. Now I'm intending the official language for the planet to sound vaguely like Greek or Latin, so maybe I should change it after all. Suggestions?

Hector Valdez

Well, if the Mind is anything like facebook, then I think it might be safe to say that the engine's running and the lights are on, but nobody's at the wheel and the current resident forgot to pay the electric bill. :-\

Oh, shit, I forgot to tell what my username means. Se is a bastardization of "De", and maestro is my mentor, who would probably dislike his name being associated with an atheist forum. meh. <(*O*)<

Amicale

Quote from: The Semaestro on April 04, 2012, 06:21:50 AM
Well, if the Mind is anything like facebook, then I think it might be safe to say that the engine's running and the lights are on, but nobody's at the wheel and the current resident forgot to pay the electric bill. :-\

Oh, shit, I forgot to tell what my username means. Se is a bastardization of "De", and maestro is my mentor, who would probably dislike his name being associated with an atheist forum. meh. <(*O*)<

Hey The Semaestro, hope you don't mind my asking - why the 'En nomine patris, et fili, et spiritus sancti' in your signature? :) Just something you appreciate? Former Latin Mass attendee? Just curious.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Hector Valdez

Because latin is badass and the holy roman empire was cool.  8)

(But really, I know quite a bit about church history. I'm a bit of an afficionado towards the subject.  :))

Amicale

Quote from: The Semaestro on April 04, 2012, 06:37:45 AM
Because latin is badass and the holy roman empire was cool.  8)

(But really, I know quite a bit about church history. I'm a bit of an afficionado towards the subject.  :))

Ah, I see. OK. Thanks for explaining. :)

I've got several of the prayers memorized in Latin, so I just wondered if you had a certain fondness for the Pater Noster for a specific reason, rather than, say, the Ave Maria or the Gloria Patri.

Cool.

Jimmy

It's my name!!  ;D I would just rather use my own name, although I was confused at WHICH one to use. My legal first name is James, most people have called me either Jim or Jimmy, but I get called all sorts of interesting different names:  Jim Bob, Jimmy Business, J. Bizzle , J. Biz,  Jim Bozey, among others..... :P
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Jimmy

Yes I know what J. Bizzle means, but most people don't, it kind of has a nice RING to the name.
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Amicale

Quote from: Jimmy on April 05, 2012, 03:03:12 PM
It's my name!!  ;D I would just rather use my own name, although I was confused at WHICH one to use. My legal first name is James, most people have called me either Jim or Jimmy, but I get called all sorts of interesting different names:  Jim Bob, Jimmy Business, J. Bizzle , J. Biz,  Jim Bozey, among others..... :P

Jimmy, I'm LOVING the Tigger avatar and the Robert Frost quote in your sig.  ;D

Sweetdeath

I love the Tigger avatar as well. <3  :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Jimmy

Thank You! Thank You! For you're pure bouncing entertainment :)