News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Where did you get your username from?

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 19, 2010, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 21, 2012, 01:50:20 PM
Quote from: Augustus on March 21, 2012, 12:47:12 PM
My username comes from Caesar Augustus, the first emperor of Rome.
Why? Why the hell not ;)

Because he was an evil bastard which is pretty bad, but being a pretend Caesar is just so fucking sad.

Juliet killed herself in a fit of teenaged melo-drama, but I don't take that as a personal reflection.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 23, 2012, 11:36:22 PM
Why? Why the hell not ;)

Because he was an evil bastard which is pretty bad, but being a pretend Caesar is just so fucking sad.

Juliet killed herself in a fit of teenaged melo-drama, but I don't take that as a personal reflection.

Every time I see your username lately, I start singing '8 year old Juliet's first hardcore song' to myself. "My name is Juliet! I love Robert and my fishes!"  :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6U-8LP1DY

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Semaestro on March 23, 2012, 08:48:46 PM
"playing legionare are we?"
"No! I'm playing gladiator! I'm Maximus, the Savior of Rome!"
(beat)
"playing legionare are we?"
"No! I'm playing gladiator! I'm Maximus, the Savior of Rome!"
(beat)
"Savior of Rome...? Who...told you that?"
Awesome Scene.

Or rather...

"Savior of Rome...? Who...told you that? I'm just trying to fight my way out of this freakin' place."

PWN scene.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Why? Why the hell not ;)

Ye but she is a fictional representation of a romantic notion. 
Augustus was real and he ruled a cruel slave empire.
I suppose as a child I sought commonality with the great and powerful of history but I'm dubious of such an attraction in adults.  If Juliet represents romance what does Augustus represent?  To me he's the guy with ultimate power who used it to subdue all in reach, others may see him differently.
I regret making the original comment, I suppose I make a distinction between fictional evil characters and real ones.  Get yourself a Darth Vader outfit and it's fun, dress up as Hitler and it's not. 

Sorry Augustus, I'll go give myself a good whipping.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on March 24, 2012, 02:49:05 AM
Why? Why the hell not ;)

Every time I see your username lately, I start singing '8 year old Juliet's first hardcore song' to myself. "My name is Juliet! I love Robert and my fishes!"  :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6U-8LP1DY

Haha, awesome. Consider this my theme song!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Augustus

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 24, 2012, 03:52:34 AM
Why? Why the hell not ;)

Sorry Augustus, I'll go give myself a good whipping.

Dont worry about it :)

ibm

Where did I get my username from?

Acronyms are fun to play with. So instead of saying that "ibm" stands for International Business Machines, my username stands for "I be, I am" ... IBM. Just like René Descartes' quote "I think, therefore I am". Nothing deep or serious.

Amicale

Quote from: ibm on April 01, 2012, 04:22:03 AM
Where did I get my username from?

Acronyms are fun to play with. So instead of saying that "ibm" stands for International Business Machines, my username stands for "I be, I am" ... IBM. Just like René Descartes' quote "I think, therefore I am". Nothing deep or serious.

I like it! I enjoy acronyms, too.

Like what I think HAPPY should stand for:

Humanist Atheistic People Person, YAY!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Asmodean

Quote from: Amicale on April 01, 2012, 04:29:03 AM
Acronyms are fun to play with. So instead of saying that "ibm"...

Is an initialism.

SCUBA is an acronym.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on April 01, 2012, 04:45:07 AM

Is an initialism.

SCUBA is an acronym.

I morphed into IBM  :o :o :o  :D

Asmodean

Quote from: Amicale on April 01, 2012, 05:23:46 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 01, 2012, 04:45:07 AM

Is an initialism.

SCUBA is an acronym.

I morphed into IBM  :o :o :o  :D
...Which is easier pronounced as [ai-bi-em] than [ibm], thus, initialism.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Hector Valdez

The Roman empire might have been a cruel slave owner's society, but please look at things from the position of the ages. Dispossessed of our modern outlook, the Roman elite's entire way of life depended on their slaves. Of course, it was only natural that the empire should be ruined, but that giant dis-equity of power allowed the Romans to create a magnificent culture. Today, we have such notions as "egalitarianism", which, if brought to its logical conclusion, would not allow civilization to exist in the first place.  8)

Sweetdeath

Quote from: The Semaestro on April 01, 2012, 05:13:19 PM
The Roman empire might have been a cruel slave owner's society, but please look at things from the position of the ages. Dispossessed of our modern outlook, the Roman elite's entire way of life depended on their slaves. Of course, it was only natural that the empire should be ruined, but that giant dis-equity of power allowed the Romans to create a magnificent culture. Today, we have such notions as "egalitarianism", which, if brought to its logical conclusion, would not allow civilization to exist in the first place.  8)
Very interesting.  :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Semaestro on April 01, 2012, 05:13:19 PM
The Roman empire might have been a cruel slave owner's society, but please look at things from the position of the ages. Dispossessed of our modern outlook, the Roman elite's entire way of life depended on their slaves. Of course, it was only natural that the empire should be ruined, but that giant dis-equity of power allowed the Romans to create a magnificent culture. Today, we have such notions as "egalitarianism", which, if brought to its logical conclusion, would not allow civilization to exist in the first place.  8)

So, when all of civilization has collapsed, there will be only China, and those other countries which make use of semi-slave labour?

QuoteToday, we have such notions as "egalitarianism", which, if brought to its logical conclusion, would not allow civilization to exist in the first place.  8)

That would be a good idea to start a new topic with so that you can justify that statement.  
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Unlinked

We interrupt this fascinating discussion on Roman culture...

My usual handles are only barely dignified enough to exist on role play sites, so I wanted something special for HAF. "Unlinked" comes from my story-in-planning which, considering my track record, will stay in planning at least until I graduate college. In this story, there's a machine called a link that you get injected into your brain that allows you to interact with all the futuristic technology that Mune (the planet/universe that most of the story takes place in) offers, but it comes with a price. In accepting a link, you also accept the constant surveillance of the Mind, a massive supercomputer that regulates every link and every thought from every person with a link. Muneish society is set up so that there's pretty much no reason to not get a link, but there are a few who realize how messed-up the whole system is and remain unlinked.