News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Where did you get your username from?

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 19, 2010, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

not your typical...

i was sitting thinking what could possibly describe me, but also semi-accurately express the fact that I'm a "Free thinking Christian"... As soon as I thought of it, I realized it applies to more than just my faith.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

NHOJ

First name backwards. Not interesting but it gets me closer to 10 posts.
Be master of your petty annoyances and conserve your energies for the big, worthwhile things. It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe.
-Robert Service

Norfolk And Chance

Mine is just a play on words  :)

I thought I was being really funny and clever, but nobody "got it" - suppose it only may work said quickly in certain English accents.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 10:54:36 PM

I thought I was being really funny and clever, but nobody "got it" - suppose it only may work said quickly in certain English accents.

I don't get it, Norfolk Island Pines are a feature here but I'm still not getting it.
Nor fooolk oond choonce.
Na I don't get it.

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on November 12, 2011, 11:07:21 PM
I got it and appreciate it...I just never came out and told you that.  :)

I assumed you got yours from an angry mob.

xSilverPhinx

Running from an angry mob? Tisk tisk tisk, what would they say? ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

My sister baptized my her daughter and the priest asked her what biblical name she would give her daughter. My sister said she didn't know any, the priest said she had to come up with one. My sister said the only name she knew from the bible was Mary Magdalene. The priest looked around confused, hoping someone would say something, no one did, so my niece was baptized with the biblical name of Maria Magdalena. *I think she is known as a prostitute in the bible. I am not a prostitue,  :)but I thought the story was funny.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

;D I'm guessing she's just into the tradition of baptising?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

history_geek

Quote from: magdalena on November 13, 2011, 04:55:08 AM*I think she is known as a prostitute in the bible.

QuotePope Gregory the Great's homily on Luke's gospel dated 14 September 591 first suggested that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute: "She whom Luke calls the sinful woman, whom John calls Mary, we believe to be the Mary from whom seven devils were ejected according to Mark. And what did these seven devils signify, if not all the vices? ... It is clear, brothers, that the woman previously used the unguent to perfume her flesh in forbidden acts."(homily XXXIII)[13]

In 1969 the Vatican, without commenting on Pope Gregory's reasoning,[14] implicitly rejected it by separating Luke's sinful woman, Mary of Bethany, and Mary Magdala via the Roman Missal.[15]

This identification of Mary Magdalene as a prostitute was followed by many writers and artists until the 20th century. Even today it is promulgated by some secular and occasional Christian groups. It is reflected in Martin Scorsese's film adaptation of Nikos Kazantzakis's novel The Last Temptation of Christ, in José Saramago's The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, Andrew Lloyd Webber's rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar, Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ, Jean-Claude La Marre's Color of the Cross and Hal Hartley's The Book of Life.

It was because of this association of Mary as a prostitute that she became the patroness of "wayward women", and "Magdalene houses" became established to help save women from prostitution

From Wiki;)

Now my name was prety much a panic choise, to be honest. I have a couple of other net nicks, but I decided to try something else, but couldn't think of any good ones. Then my thoughts went along the line of *hmmmm, can't think of anything. Ok, so what do I like? Well, history...and I am kinda sorta a geek...meh, good enough* ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 10:54:36 PM

I just got it. Thank you for the enlightenment. ;D Very clever. hahaha.
And history_geek, nice. You're name describes you well then. :)
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Ransom

I took my name, Ransom, from C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy. I think I first read the S.T. when I was 12? 13? Somewhere around there. I've read it once since then, and it was only better then I remembered. My favorite is possibly the 2nd in the trilogy, Perelandra, where Ransom demonstrates how to handle Satanic influences (20 lb rock to the face, among other things ;)). But yeah, that's my username's origins.
The law of the jungle says
You look after yourself
But I remember this much
I love as I've been loved myself.

Buddy

My first horse's name was Buddy, and I like horses. The 4 was just a typo that stuck. I made that username when I young and I just never bothered to change it. It's kinda stuck in real life too, my mother calls my Buddy sometimes.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Pharaoh Cat

"Pharaoh Cat" says something about being led by a cat, and my philosophy of life is, What Would Your Cat Do (WWYCD)?

Here's a picture of my cat on one of her favorite perches:

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

DefJack

First three letters of last name, first four of firstname.

no_god_know_peace

I used to live in a really small town with highly religious population and I remember this phrase they used "no god no peace, know god know peace" so I put my own spin to that with "no god, know peace"  8)

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on November 18, 2011, 10:04:42 AM
.... and my philosophy of life is, What Would Your Cat Do (WWYCD)?

That's an interesting question.
What would a cat do if a small meal sized animal started rubbing itself against it whilst making a whiny noise?