News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Where did you get your username from?

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 19, 2010, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twentythree

Twentythree is the number of chromosomes in a haploid gamete. I use it symbolically in my art as the mating of viewer and art creates an experience, almost like a sperm and an egg create a life. I use it here because I figure eventually, after my first 50 posts, I’ll be able to start mating ideas with all the creative free thinkers herein.

Melmoth

Got mine from the eponymous character in Melmoth the Wanderer. I've always had a bit of a thing for Faustian pacts, plus he's one of my favourite characters in literature. He has a number of traits that I can relate to: an occasional, compulsive need to cause disaster, a tendancy to inadvertently burn down bridges and a generally reclusive, hermit lifestyle being some of them. I like the 'wandering jew' types.

But I have no real, conscious reason; the book was within my line of sight and I picked it impulsively.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

YaarghMatey487

When I was 5 I had a dream that I was captured by pirates.
"Don't you love the Oxford Dictionary? When I first read it, I thought it was a really really long poem about everything."- David Bowie

terranus

Hmm...guess I wanted to say I'm just another asshole Earthling.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

sillyseal

So many creative usernames! I got mine from a nickname my lame friend gave me. We have many nicknames for each other and one of mine's is Silly Seal. I hate it. It's so immature and dumb lol

Tank

Quote from: "sillyseal"So many creative usernames! I got mine from a nickname my lame friend gave me. We have many nicknames for each other and one of mine's is Silly Seal. I hate it. It's so immature and dumb lol
It can be changed if you want.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

sillyseal

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "sillyseal"So many creative usernames! I got mine from a nickname my lame friend gave me. We have many nicknames for each other and one of mine's is Silly Seal. I hate it. It's so immature and dumb lol

Yay! May I ask how? I seem to be technologically challenged because I can't find a way to do it.

Tank

Quote from: "sillyseal"
Quote from: "Tank"

Yay! May I ask how? I seem to be technologically challenged because I can't find a way to do it.

Beg pardon, I should have said. A user name can be changed but only by the system admin, Whitney. Check the member list to make sure the name you want is not already in use and then drop a PM to Whitney. I don't know if there is a policy on this I haven't seen anything in the rules about not doing it.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

DeterminedJuliet

When I was thirteen (way back when internet forums were just becoming a "thing") I took some stupid "what kind of girl are you" online quiz and the answer was "A Determined Juliet". I liked it and it just kind of stuck as my username. I'm a bit of a forum junkie and it's been my online persona ever since.

I did have someone ask me if it meant I was suicidal. No. I'm not. Haha.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ulver

Quote from: "DeterminedJuliet"I did have someone ask me if it meant I was suicidal. No. I'm not. Haha.

Haha! I didn't think of that. Funny.

proudfootz

Proudfootz comes from Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' - just the name of a hobbit family.

ZombiePhysics

I took the physics part from a user I met in a GMod server by the name of MelonPhysics, and I don't really remember too much beyond that. My YouTube username (feel free to spam =3) GrimReaper2485 was really just the first thing I think I came up with one day since I wanted an account. For some reason I always found it amusing that I signed up three days before DeceasedCrab did. I'm not sure why I think about that so often. Any other names I've used on Steam have just been somewhat spontaneous and random thoughts like CornMuffinsofDoom. I have also since added lambdas to the ends of the name just for the hell of it.
"I wait for a miracle every day, but what I've seen here has only tested my patience, not my faith." - Fox Mulder

Tank

Quote from: ZombiePhysics on May 01, 2011, 06:06:51 AM
I took the physics part from a user I met in a GMod server by the name of MelonPhysics, and I don't really remember too much beyond that. My YouTube username (feel free to spam =3) GrimReaper2485 was really just the first thing I think I came up with one day since I wanted an account. For some reason I always found it amusing that I signed up three days before DeceasedCrab did. I'm not sure why I think about that so often. Any other names I've used on Steam have just been somewhat spontaneous and random thoughts like CornMuffinsofDoom. I have also since added lambdas to the ends of the name just for the hell of it.

I do like CornMuffinsofDoom  :D

Norbie

Norbie was the dragon that Hagrid hatched as a pet in Harry Potter.  I used to name my raccoon babies based on themes each year.  That character appealed to me so the first baby I took in that year was named Norbie.  The rest of them that year were all "berts" of some kind or another... Norbert, Herbert, Eggbert etc.  Norbie was a special character.  He was rescued in a Georgia wildfire.  People watching the fire's progress saw his mother desperately moving babies out from her nest.  She was cut off with more babies left in the nest.  They couldn't stand it, so they went in and took the two others.  Norbie's brother died from complications, and Norbie was a tough rehabbing job.  He lived, but became unreleasable.  That is always a quandry for a rehabber.  So he became a companion and educational animal.  Luckily he had the disposition for it.  He lived with us until he passed from old age.  I honor him by using his name on-line; and my avatar is from another unreleasable raccoon, Tammy Faye.  She also spent her whole life with me.  Both of them taught me many things, from technical things about rehabbing to how to sit back & enjoy life.  Raccoons know how to be happy.  Peace, Kim

DaveD

My username is just as unimaginative as it appears!