News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning, burns down

Started by curiosityandthecat, June 15, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dregs

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Dregs"Actually this statue had them too.  It was a very bad electrical storm and they believe they were basically overpowered.  Apparently the next one will simply be nonflammable, woopee! sigh.  BTW not sure if this was mentioned but the damn thing cost $250,000 with a portion of the work donated!  The thing was insured for $500,000!  Suck on that poor people!
Oh joy! They can buy two.  :D

You know in actuality the Church itself has declared that this was NOT an act of God. Sooo maybe the insurance company has grounds to not pay out ;)

elliebean

If I were god, I would have struck that statue down on the grounds that it was ugly and cheap. As god, nothing would offend me more than ugly, cheap art depicting my relatives.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Ellainix

Quote from: "TomThumb"Does anyone seriously believe that this incident is not a clear warning that Barack Obama is the Antichrist?

Really? I thought God was telling us to deport illegal immigrants.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Ellainix"Really? I thought God was telling us to deport illegal immigrants.

Obviously he was trying to tell us the winning lotto numbers. DUH!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Ellainix"No! he wants us to invade Italy!

I did that this morning!!! NAG NAG NAG!!!!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

GAYtheist

You know, I have to admit to giggling quite a bit when I first read about this. And I love the whole "'God' sending a message" thing. First time I read this the first thought in my head was,

"Really? God was sending a message? For someone so infallible he has really shitty aim."

Admittedly, this only made me laugh a little harder.

John
"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

Thumpalumpacus

Not to add to the derail but they don't have anything on the Los Angeles Diocese and it's Our Lady of the Angels:

Quote from: "Wiki"Initially, the proposed budget was $150 million, but as the charities and donations kept coming, the architects and builders were able to implement everything desired. Thus, the final cost of the new cathedral was $189.7 million.

QuoteThe prices for some cathedral furnishings have also caused great consternation. $5M was budgeted for the altar or "table" -- essentially a giant slab of Rosso Laguna marble. The main bronze doors cost $3M. $2M was budgeted for the wooden ambo (lectern), and $1M for a very controversial tabernacle. $1M for the cathedra (bishop's chair). $250K for the presider's chair. $250K for each deacon's chair. Visiting bishops' chairs cost $150K each, while pews cost an average of $50K each. The cantor's stand cost $100K while each bronze chandelier/speaker cost $150K.[6]  The great costs incurred in its construction and Mahony's long efforts to get it built led critics to dub it the "Taj Mahony".[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_ ... the_Angels
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Asmodean

...I wonder if the local atheists made some marshmallows over it :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "Asmodean"...I wonder if the local atheists made some marshmallows over it :D
They would have been very soggy marshmallows, but they would have tasted extra sweet.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Tank"They would have been very soggy marshmallows, but they would have tasted extra sweet.
...And fetched a fair price on e-bay.

"Come get 'em! Marshmallows made over a giant burning Jesus, 50 bucks a pop!" :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

robinna

Where is the receiver for the keyless entry on my 2005 grand prix? After taking my 05 grand prix (base model, no remote start) to the dealer to reprogram my keyless entry, I was told the receiver was bad. I would like to change it myself and was wondering where it was located.

Tank

Quote from: "robinna"Where is the receiver for the keyless entry on my 2005 grand prix? After taking my 05 grand prix (base model, no remote start) to the dealer to reprogram my keyless entry, I was told the receiver was bad. I would like to change it myself and was wondering where it was located.
:hmm:

:D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Thumpalumpacus

In related news, American Muslims have announced plans to erect "First-Down Mohammed":

Illegitimi non carborundum.

The Magic Pudding

I saw Tanks awe inspiring Cathedral thread.
I've seen a picture of the drowning Jesus statue.
All I can say is religious architecture isn't what it used to be.