News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning, burns down

Started by curiosityandthecat, June 15, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned

Quote from: "Ned"I agree with TomThumb and find the treatment of him despicable.
Sorry to keep harping on, but I should point out that I only agree with TomThumb in the sense that the reaction to his posts was disproportionate. I certainly do not agree with the embarrassing BS about Obama being the Antichrist.

karadan

Quote from: "Ned"
Quote from: "Davin"From the similarities of Ned's posts to TomThumbs posts; I think they might be the same person.
You're wrong, I've never met him and have no idea who he is. I just thought that the treatment he received was out of order.
(BTW, how do you know that TomThumb is male? Are you basing it solely on the user name?)

Ok, so you and Tom Thumb are the same girl?

Gotcha.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

curiosityandthecat

Sooooooo, anyway, back to the big, burning Jesus statue...  :|
-Curio

karadan

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Sooooooo, anyway, back to the big, burning Jesus statue...  :|

Do you think the next one they build will include a lightning conductor?
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tank

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Sooooooo, anyway, back to the big, burning Jesus statue...  :|

You have to wonder don't you!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

In 1984 York Minster was struck by lightning just after the bishop had given a controversial sermon http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 498525.stm
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Cecilie

Quote from: "Tank"In 1984 York Minster was struck by lightning just after the bishop had given a controversial sermon http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 498525.stm
What was the sermon about?
The world's what you create.

Tank

Quote from: "Cecilie"
Quote from: "Tank"In 1984 York Minster was struck by lightning just after the bishop had given a controversial sermon http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 498525.stm
I'm trying to find out! I think it was something about not taking some part of the Bible literally  :D

Cecilie

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Cecilie"
I'm trying to find out! I think it was something about not taking some part of the Bible literally  :P
The world's what you create.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Tank"I'm trying to find out! I think it was something about not taking some part of the Bible literally  :P

It obviously pissed someone off.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tank

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Tank"I'm trying to find out! I think it was something about not taking some part of the Bible literally  :P

That's the point!  :D

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"

That's the point!  :eek:   roflol
-Curio

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Well, regardless, I wanna stay on the good side of whoever has a weather machine.   roflol

Good point -- discretion is the better part of valor.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Dregs

Quote from: "karadan"

You have to wonder don't you!

Actually this statue had them too.  It was a very bad electrical storm and they believe they were basically overpowered.  Apparently the next one will simply be nonflammable, woopee! sigh.  BTW not sure if this was mentioned but the damn thing cost $250,000 with a portion of the work donated!  The thing was insured for $500,000!  Suck on that poor people!

Tank

Quote from: "Dregs"Actually this statue had them too.  It was a very bad electrical storm and they believe they were basically overpowered.  Apparently the next one will simply be nonflammable, woopee! sigh.  BTW not sure if this was mentioned but the damn thing cost $250,000 with a portion of the work donated!  The thing was insured for $500,000!  Suck on that poor people!
Oh joy! They can buy two.  :D