News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning, burns down

Started by curiosityandthecat, June 15, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

I must say, it did make me giggle a bit.

QuoteMONROE, OH (FOX19) - The large Jesus statue in Monroe was destroyed after being struck by lightning Monday evening.

The iconic statue was a landmark on Interstate 75, and was dubbed "King of Kings" by members of Solid Rock Church, where it resided.

The 62 feet tall statue weighing 16,000 pounds quickly became engulfed with flames. Fire crews were on the scene for several hours to put out the fire.

The statue, also nicknamed "Touchdown Jesus," is made out of wood and Styrofoam. The statue also had a steel frame anchored in concrete and fiberglass.

http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=12649244

http://www.blaghag.com/2010/06/touchdown-jesus-is-on-fire.html
-Curio

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

teifuani

Quote from: "Cecilie"Think Thor had anything to do with it...?

Nah, it was totally Zeus.
(I wasn't a Hellenic Pagan at all, what makes you think that? :P)

Cecilie

Quote from: "teifuani"

(I wasn't a Hellenic Pagan at all, what makes you think that? :P)
Thor is way more awesome. He's got a hammer and everything. And a badass helmet.

karadan

Quote from: "Cecilie"
Quote from: "teifuani"

(I wasn't a Hellenic Pagan at all, what makes you think that? :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

pinkocommie

When they inevitably rebuild, they should do a sculpture of Jesus doing an end zone dance.  It's the natural progression.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

TomThumb

Does anyone seriously believe that this incident is not a clear warning that Barack Obama is the Antichrist?

KDbeads

Quote from: "TomThumb"Does anyone seriously believe that this incident is not a clear warning that Barack Obama is the Antichrist?

WTF???  Are you for real?  Get off it will ya and go find some other forum to annoy ya troll.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

Quote from: "TomThumb"Does anyone seriously believe that this incident is not a clear warning that Barack Obama is the Antichrist?
lol  Well it was a bloody bad shot then! I mean it's not like the White House is a small target!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

philosoraptor

Generally, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I feel pretty safe saying that you are a moron.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

TomThumb

Quote from: "philosoraptor"

Generally, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I feel pretty safe saying that you are a moron.
Nice to meet you, too. :)

Cecilie

Wait, two questions:
1. Why was this in the news?
2. Why did they build a giant Jesus in the first place?

pinkocommie

Quote from: "TomThumb"
Quote from: "philosoraptor"Generally, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I feel pretty safe saying that you are a moron.
Nice to meet you, too. :D
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

TomThumb

Quote from: "Cecilie"Wait, two questions:
1. Why was this in the news?
2. Why did they build a giant Jesus in the first place?
1.Because it's a noteworthy event?
2.It was God's will this statue was built, so it could be destroyed to warn the world of the coming of the Antichrist.