News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Forum preconceptions.

Started by Tank, June 07, 2010, 08:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

When a new member turns up and has no avatar and a gender neutral title what are your default preconceptions of the person?

I'll kick off, white, male, aged 17 to 25, atheist.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pinkocommie

It really depends on what they write.  I never really think about race.  I usually don't assume gender unless they self identify in their writing as one or the other - but people usually think I'm a dude so that's probably way I'm more careful not to assume gender, and if there's no avatar I'm more likely to assume it's an older person who doesn't know how to upload an image or doesn't care to.   :blush:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

karadan

I won't form an opinion until they have typed something substantial. This can be after their first post or 100th post.

But then again, what someone types here, no matter how long-winded, will never beat actually meeting them in person to really get to know them.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Whitney

If someone is aggressive I assume a he if the person is more emotional I assume a she...I'm often wrong that's just how society has me programed.  I generally don't really think about gender unless I'm having to use he or she in relationship to a poster when writing something.

Most users assume I'm male....which goes to show how accurate gender assumptions are.

Davin

To me, everyone on the internet has no gender, but I'll use whatever gender they want to be identified with.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

fiendmf

I've been around message boards/forums for years now. My initial thinking is they're a troll. This conclusion usually is justified by their posting(s) soon after the fact. It's always nice to be wrong in this sense though.
"When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth." - Dawn of the Dead (1978)

KDbeads

I have long since stopped even thinking about all that when first reading a person online  :P

But I'm weird like that.  :eek:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

elliebean

Quote from: "Davin"To me, everyone on the internet has no gender, but I'll use whatever gender they want to be identified with.
^This, IRL as well.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

hismikeness

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tank

It's interesting as I obviously start with a 'template' that gets modified in the light of evidence. Am I unusual in this respect?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

KDbeads

Depends on the situation  :blush:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

Quote from: "KDbeads"Depends on the situation  :blush:
That makes sense.

But if I asked you to describe the 'average forum user' what would you describe?

KDbeads

Well, since I've read enough of everyone so far  ;)
educated, middle aged, 50/50 male/female ratio, with a deep liking of philosophy

Tank

Quote from: "KDbeads"Well, since I've read enough of everyone so far  ;)
educated, middle aged, 50/50 male/female ratio, with a deep liking of philosophy
How interesting! I must have frequented a different type of forum to you!

KDbeads

I was thinking this forum  ;)
If I have to classify the rest of the one's I've played in......  Mostly women, 30's to 40's, fundamentalist if not evangelical, under educated by choice.