News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Bees disappearing

Started by donkeyhoty, April 25, 2007, 03:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donkeyhoty

Bees all over the world are disappearing.  And no, I'm not going to make a bee rapture joke, although that would be funny.  This shit just aint good.  Bees are important to all sorts of pollination and farming.  Really, this is not good.

Comments, Questions, bee rapture jokes...
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Squid

I heard about this on another forum.  Some guy was blaming it on cellphones but has no data past putting a cellphone close to bees and they would fly away.

Researchers at Penn State seem to think it could be more likely that there is some type of infection or reaction to newer pesticides:

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/pressReleases/FallDwindleUpdate0107.pdf

A report prepared by one of the researchers outlined three possibilities based upon their studies since last year:

Quote1) Are new or reemerging pathogens responsible for CCD?
2) Are environmental chemicals causing the immunosuppression of bees and triggering CCD?
3) Is a combination of stressors (e.g., varroa mites, diseases, nutritional stress) interacting to weaken bee colonies and allowing stress-related pathogens such as fungi to cause final collapse?

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/CCDPpt/CoxFosterTestimonyFinal.pdf

brainshmain

I heard about this on Bill Maher's show.  They estimate that humans won't exist longer than 5 years if bees were to go extinct.  I don't understand how the fundies and conservatives can just ignore the problems humans are causing and act like the world will just adapt to the massive changes we've forced it to witness.  This really sucks.  Bees are fascinating animals.

Tom62

I heard it too some weeks ago on TV. It is indeed a world-wide problem. Many beekeepers here in Europe report that millions of bees are dying for apparently no reason at all. BTW the same seems to be happening with frogs. I wonder whether it has anyhing to do with global warming.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Squid

I think the frog thing has been linked to climate change.  I'm not sure about the bees though.

joeactor

Quote from: "Squid"I think the frog thing has been linked to climate change.  I'm not sure about the bees though.
I recall reading that in certain species of frog, sex is determined by environmental temperature.

All male, or all female - can't be good for population growth...

Plenty of bees near me,
JoeActor

Whitney

Quote from: "joeactor"I recall reading that in certain species of frog, sex is determined by environmental temperature.

All male, or all female - can't be good for population growth...

Plenty of bees near me,
JoeActor

That's how it works for geckos...if you breed them and want females you just set the incubator to a certain temperature range.

We still have a lot of bees around here too, esp where the university was stupid and planted plants bees just love right next to the pedestrian walkway.

brainshmain

I'm sure they're almost nonexistant in higher-density places like Southern California, NYC, London, etc.  They are absolutely vital to support human existance, so its no surprise we've found some way to kill them off.

imrational

Kestrel

On a somewhat related note;

"This is going to be for us a nightmare," said Michael Kliks, head of the Hawaii Beekeepers' Association and owner of Manoa Honey Co. "When I saw that mite I knew exactly what it was. I knew exactly what it meant and I fell to my knees and almost began to weep because it's inexpressible what that sea change is for us in Hawaii."

SOURCE
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

Squid

So much for the cellphone hypothesis.

SteveS

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"bee rapture jokes...
It's not mine, but this girl did one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8-Io9Mn4o&mode=related&search=

imrational - you rock.  The vid was excellent.  You are truly rational  :wink:  .  Kudos!

Sophia

Something was mentioned about the frogs on the BBC series 'Planet Earth' and it concerned me.. now the bees concern me too. Who's going to keep the bears in line if the bees are gone? But seriously, we need bees.
"Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground." from Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

Naked4Jesus

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"Bees all over the world are disappearing.  And no, I'm not going to make a bee rapture joke, although that would be funny.  This shit just aint good.  Bees are important to all sorts of pollination and farming.  Really, this is not good.

Comments, Questions, bee rapture jokes...

I heard it's only in the northern hemisphere and it's only the genetically enhances commercial bees ( the big ones) with the artificially big bee hives.  Bigger hives, bigger bees, more honey and more money.  You catch the drift, eh?  People messing around with mother nature's gonna piss her off for sure.  Damn, that's another bad word.  I'll be banned by the end of the week.

weirdframer

I haven't seem a honey bee here in my gardens for 2 years  I'm worried !
The trouble with born-again Christians is that they are an even bigger pain the second time around.”