News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The Bible...in Klingon

Started by Gawen, June 02, 2010, 01:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

JillSwift

[size=50]Teleology]

wildfire_emissary

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Asmodean

:hmm:

yeSuS

I think me I know what that there means
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

JillSwift

Quote from: "Asmodean":hmm:

yeSuS

I think me I know what that there means
Yes. It's an exclamation used when frustrated or disgusted. :D
[size=50]Teleology]

Sophus

It is most impressive that a language from another world uses the Roman alphabet.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

JillSwift

Quote from: "Sophus"It is most impressive that a language from another world uses the Roman alphabet.
Actually, they invented an alphabet too, but also a Romanization so the actors would have something to work with.

(Wow, am I a geek or what?)
[size=50]Teleology]

elliebean

I've invented an alphabet; now I just need a language to go with it. Fun project, but a tall order, for sure. It took me a couple of years to create, and it still needs tweaking here and there, I think. If I happen to dig it up, I'll post some pics.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

pinkocommie

I wish I has a scanner!   My friend and I invented an alphabet (over the course of years, mind you) that includes clues to dropping letters and stuff, so it's like an alphabet that includes a code so in case people figure out what the alphabet is, they still have to figure out that a curvey dashy thing means to skip three letters ahead in the alphabet, etc.  We used to write letters to each other in it and (though I am totally law abiding now and would NEVER do this these days...ahem...) graffiti bathroom stalls we knew the other person would use and the sides of buildings we knew the other person would walk by and notice.  Fun times!
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

I 'invented' a script that mapped onto the 26 letters on the alphabet. When I used to play D&D with my kids and their friends I used to write some of the instructions in English and then translate them into the script. I didn't tell them how the script worked, it took them all of 5 minutes to decode it  :verysad:  But they loved it!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

elliebean

:yay:
[spoiler:cfeljqt3]It consists of 50 unique characters, each representing a loosely defined range of phonetic sounds (if I'd made it too specific, It would have been the IPA and I could have called it a day).  Additionally, each sound is unique to the symbol representing it. So, no duplicates, either way. The design of the characters themselves are all based on the same design principle - each one is a combination of a few easily drawn curved strokes from a pre-established set, and follows a few simple rules, whereby, out of the hundreds of possible characters that could be made up using that set of marks, only the 50 characters used (plus a couple of unsightly strays) fit within those constraints. It's as tightly wrapped as I could possibly get it.

To illustrate what some of them look like, consider the strokes involved in forming these characters:

( ) 6 9 0 C D _ | T

only some of them appear backwards and/or have vertical or horizontal lines through them.[/spoiler:cfeljqt3]
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais