News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Another One Bites the Dust

Started by Sophus, May 30, 2010, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

pinkocommie

Yeah, I read this yesterday on PZ's blog and it made me want to  :upset:  I don't know much about the laws in Australia, do they have the same rules about separation that we do?  Is it easier to get this kind of stuff into the curriculum there?
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

I'm not sure that excluding an education about creationism is a good thing. The issue is the context creationism is placed in. If creationism is placed in the context of religious belief that's perfectly fine. It's when creationism's bastard child Intelligent Design is taught with equivalence to science then I would get pissed off. Kids are not as dumb as they are often held to be, they do have bullshit detectors. Placing creationism with Religious Education would be a good idea in the UK as it would show the kids exactly what it is.

$0.02
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

philosoraptor

I have no problem with creationism being taught for what it is in the proper context.  As Tank said, it's the teaching of intelligent design as if it has some sort of scientific merit that bothers me.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

pinkocommie

If my local school sent out a bulletin saying 'hey, we will be teaching your child about creationism, but don't worry!  We're using it in a lesson about controversy!' I wouldn't be happy with that.  When ID was first proposed, it was under the exact same context.  ID is easier to point out as obviously not being what it claims to be, so now it seems religion is being interjected in other, less objectionable but equally suspicious ways.  If they want to teach about controversy, it seems to me it would make more sense to choose topics that have valid arguments on both sides instead of choosing creationism, which is essentially make believe wooery.  The choice seems highly suspicious to me.

Tank

Well one has to be vigilant as some theists will stop at nothing to promote their views.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

pinkocommie

You are right though - kids aren't stupid.  I have to wonder what the common reaction would be to learning about creationism in a classroom setting with kids who are old enough to know without a doubt that magical things like Santa don't exist.  I imagine the reaction would be something close to roflol.

Tank

Quote from: "pinkocommie"You are right though - kids aren't stupid.  I have to wonder what the common reaction would be to learning about creationism in a classroom setting with kids who are old enough to know without a doubt that magical things like Santa don't exist.  I imagine the reaction would be something close to :D

Gawen

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "pinkocommie"You are right though - kids aren't stupid.  I have to wonder what the common reaction would be to learning about creationism in a classroom setting with kids who are old enough to know without a doubt that magical things like Santa don't exist.  I imagine the reaction would be something close to :D
Not where I live.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Asmodean

Quote from: "pinkocommie"You are right though - kids aren't stupid.  I have to wonder what the common reaction would be to learning about creationism in a classroom setting with kids who are old enough to know without a doubt that magical things like Santa don't exist.  I imagine the reaction would be something close to roflol.
Kids here in Norway would take it for a joke, but by the sme, kids in a religious country take the scientific theories for jokes... Brainwashing, you know... Or rather, brain-polluting.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Killa_Kron

I want to know how someone didn't say (politely of course) "Hey! Dumbass! CREATIONISM ISN'T HISTORY! Nor, for that matter, a controversy. It's a different point of view...and one that can be disproved extremely easily." (This is how i would have said it) Of course, this would provoke (from my experiences) a whirl of expletives and false stories about Darwin converting on his deathbed to Christianity (how that is even related i have no idea). By the way, can anyone tell me where that story began?
"WOOOO! FREEBIRD!" -Millions of Metalheads

Recusant

Quote from: "Killa_Kron"...false stories about Darwin converting on his deathbed to Christianity (how that is even related i have no idea). By the way, can anyone tell me where that story began?

It's generally attributed to the evangelist known as Lady Hope.  Though she actually did not say Darwin converted on his deathbed, her story about her encounter with him during his final days was embellished by later Christian story tellers.

A Christian site has a decent take on this subject.  Not all Christians are charlatans all the time.   :blush:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Killa_Kron

Quote from: "Recusant"
Quote from: "Killa_Kron"...false stories about Darwin converting on his deathbed to Christianity (how that is even related i have no idea). By the way, can anyone tell me where that story began?

It's generally attributed to the evangelist known as Lady Hope.  Though she actually did not say Darwin converted on his deathbed, her story about her encounter with him during his final days was embellished by later Christian story tellers.

A Christian site has a decent take on this subject.  Not all Christians are charlatans all the time.   :blush:
Why yes she did. I forgot to update and say "I no longer need an answer" or something to that effect.
"WOOOO! FREEBIRD!" -Millions of Metalheads