News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

a friendly "hey guys" from germany :-)

Started by deryepes, May 12, 2010, 07:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deryepes

hi guys! :-)
I've been an atheist for 'bout 7 months and so I decided to join this forum.
My name is Markus, I'm 17 years old and live here in the momentary cloudy and rainy Augsburg (a city in Bavaria ---> Germany)
I hope, we all get along very well; it's kinda hard to find many other atheist in Augsburg and so I'm exited to interchange ideas with you!
I really look forward to discuss and just to chat with you.
Hoping you all do fine,
deryepes

sorry for my english, my french and my german is better ;-)
(I'd be glad, if you correct my spelling and grammar mistakes ;-) )
The best part of believe is the "lie" - fall out boy
I'd would be very helpful if you'd correct my spelling and grammar errors. Thank you and have a wonderful day! :-)

Davin

Welcome to the forums, I hope you have fun here.

Quote from: "deryepes"(i'd be glad, if you correct my spelling and grammar mistakes ;-) )
Really? No, I can't because I'm addicted to it. If I do it even just a little then I just lose control, start correcting everyone and then all of the sudden I'm spending 3 days to make a one paragraph post because if I'm correcting everyone else, then I must make sure mine is perfect...
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: "deryepes"hi guys! :-)
i've been an atheist for 'bout 7 months and so i decided to join this forum.
my name is Markus, I'm 17 years old and live here in the momentary cloudy and rainy Augsburg (a city in Bavaria ---> Germany)
i hope, we all get along very well; it's kinda hard to find many other atheist in Augsburg and so I'm exited to interchange ideas with you!
i really look forward to discuss and just to chat with you.
hoping you all do fine,
deryepes

sorry for my english, my french and my german is better ;-)
(i'd be glad, if you correct my spelling and grammar mistakes ;-) )

Hi

Your English is understandable. One thing to note is one capitalises the i in I've or I have or I hope or just I when referring to oneself. One also capitalises the first letter of the first word in a sentence, thus 'my name is Markus' should be 'My name is Markus'.

Good to see you found your way out from under the cloud of superstition known as religion. What happened, was there one thing or a number of things that brought you to change your view of the world?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Servus Markus, herzlich Willkomen auf HAF und viele Grüße aus Hessen.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

elliebean

[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

deryepes

QuoteGood to see you found your way out from under the cloud of superstition known as religion. What happened, was there one thing or a number of things that brought you to change your view of the world?

Honestly there are various things.
Of course, the most important reason is, that quite everything that most religions claim, makes no sense at all. To tell you the truth, I simply don't see why you should believe in some kind of extrasensory being that is omniscient and omnipotent.
I cannot understand someone who tells me 'bout a good and helpful god while daily millions of people suffer and kick the bucket (<-- is this a common phrase? xD).
I also had an arguement with a pastor few days ago and he couldn't give me satisfying answers. He seemed quite astonished that a teenager asked him such questions.
Furthermore I joined a so called ethics-class (don't know, if there is an proper expression for that) at school and this also made me think about many things I never thought about before.
Also the church scandal in Germany is quite shocking and I don't to have anything to do with the instiution "church" anymore.

All things considered, I'm glad to be an freethinking, enlightened, optimistic atheist. :-)
I'd would be very helpful if you'd correct my spelling and grammar errors. Thank you and have a wonderful day! :-)

Davin

Quote from: "deryepes"Furthermore I joined a so called ethics-class (don't know, if there is an proper expression for that)
Dunno about anyone else, but "so called" is usually reserved for being sarcastic or sardonic.
Like saying: "the so called loving god, murdered millions of women and children."

I could be wrong but it seems like you actually got some useful ethics education out of the class.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

philosoraptor

"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

deryepes

Thank you all! I really appreciate it:-)

Tank

Quote from: "deryepes"
QuoteGood to see you found your way out from under the cloud of superstition known as religion. What happened, was there one thing or a number of things that brought you to change your view of the world?

Honestly there are various things.
Of course, the most important reason is, that quite everything that most religions claim, makes no sense at all. To tell you the truth, I simply don't see why you should believe in some kind of extrasensory being that is omniscient and omnipotent.
I cannot understand someone who tells me 'bout a good and helpful god while daily millions of people suffer and kick the bucket (<-- is this a common phrase? xD).
I also had an arguement with a pastor few days ago and he couldn't give me satisfying answers. He seemed quite astonished that a teenager asked him such questions.
Furthermore I joined a so called ethics-class (don't know, if there is an proper expression for that) at school and this also made me think about many things I never thought about before.
Also the church scandal in Germany is quite shocking and I don't to have anything to do with the instiution "church" anymore.

All things considered, I'm glad to be an freethinking, enlightened, optimistic atheist. :-)

'Kick the bucket' is a common phrase in the UK, where I live, but I can't say for America.
Your story of gradual realisation is probably the most common de-conversion experience. Not many have a momentary changes of mind, atheism comes with research!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

McQ

Welcome to the forum!

And Kick the Bucket is a common phrase in the U.S. too.  :)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: "McQ"Welcome to the forum!

And Kick the Bucket is a common phrase in the U.S. too.  :yay:

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

Albino_Raptor

Nürmbersch ist von Augsburg auch nur ne Stunde weit weg. :D
And GOD created the earth, covered with water by 70%, for man, who has no gills.