News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!

Started by Whitney, May 03, 2010, 12:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Logikos

Tom62

Quote from: "Logikos"Why?
That is indeed a very good question.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ellainix

If you want to be involved, now you know it's there.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Logikos

Quote from: "Ellainix"If you want to be involved, now you know it's there.
...and why would anyone want to be involved?

elliebean

Quote from: "Logikos"

For the sake of art.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

pinkocommie

Thanks for posting this, Ellainix.  I forgot I hadn't joined this group yet.  :)
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Dretlin

To counter the poking free speech has suffered lately.

And I really very surprised you don't know the answer to your own question.

philosoraptor

"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Logikos

I'm struggling to see how a load of people offending Muslims by drawing pictures of Muhammad is "art" or doing anything for freedom of speech.

philosoraptor

Quote from: "Logikos"I'm struggling to see how a load of people offending Muslims by drawing pictures of Muhammad is "art" or doing anything for freedom of speech.

Probably because when people exercise their freedom of speech by drawing Mohammed, Muslim extremists threaten to bomb them in an attempt to quash that freedom.  They may not like it, but if they're free to practice their religion, other people are free to think it's ridiculous and oppressive.
-Muse

Logikos

Quote from: "philosoraptor"Probably because when people exercise their freedom of speech by drawing Mohammed, Muslim extremists threaten to bomb them in an attempt to quash that freedom.  They may not like it, but if they're free to practice their religion, other people are free to think it's ridiculous and oppressive.
Right.  You seem to forget about the millions of non-violent Muslims who do not oppose freedom of speech.  No demonstration is required to show that violent forms of Islam are ridiculous and oppressive - that is self-evident.  Why not spend the energy encouraging non-violent Muslims to stand-up to their extremist brothers and sisters (i.e. something positive)?

Dretlin

Quote from: "philosoraptor"Probably because when people exercise their freedom of speech by drawing Mohammed, Muslim extremists threaten to bomb them in an attempt to quash that freedom.  They may not like it, but if they're free to practice their religion, other people are free to think it's ridiculous and oppressive.
Right.  You seem to forget about the millions of non-violent Muslims who do not oppose freedom of speech.  No demonstration is required to show that violent forms of Islam are ridiculous and oppressive - that is self-evident.  Why not spend the energy encouraging non-violent Muslims to stand-up to their extremist brothers and sisters (i.e. something positive)?

The drawing of Muhammed is not directed at moderate Muslims. The drawing of Muhammed is the key point to the entire craze.

I do not mind the practicing of religion - I do become alert when someone demands their relgious laws apply to me - drawing Muhammed is a clear and direct way of showing you are not part of that system of religious law nor will you have it impossed on you.

No one has the right to not be offended.

Logikos

Quote from: "Dretlin"The drawing of Muhammed is not directed at moderate Muslims. The drawing of Muhammed is the key point to the entire craze.

I do not mind the practicing of religion - I do become alert when someone demands their relgious laws apply to me - drawing Muhammed is a clear and direct way of showing you are not part of that system of religious law nor will you have it impossed on you.

No one has the right to not be offended.
The problem is not that the drawings will offend moderate Muslims, but that it will unnecessarily offend them.  And whether you direct the drawings to extremists or not (I have no idea how exactly you can "direct" a drawing towards extremists), in the process you are guaranteed to offend moderates.  And for what benefit?  How is offending the extremists going to change them?  It seems more likely to me that the drawings will make the moderates sympathise with the Anti-Western extremist agenda, and enrage the extremists further.

philosoraptor

I don't "seem" to forget anything.  I'm well aware of the millions of non-violent Muslims.  I'm still entitled to draw Mohammed if I want to.  Might they be offended?  Yeah.  You know what offends me?  Organized religion.

YOU seem to forget that in countries dominated by extremist Muslim regimes, dissent is not an option, unless you want to die.  Tell a non-violent Muslim in Afghanistan to stand up to an extremist and see what the response is.
-Muse