News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Bible contradictions, interpretations, and hebrew

Started by Nergel, April 16, 2007, 06:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nergel

I've been checking what christians have to say about bible contradictions lately and I was rather surprised by their responds. Take a look at this:
http://www.lookinguntojesus.net/ata20030713.htm
Atheists say the bibe is full of contradictions. But the site explains quite alot, in most cases it was just a hebrew translation or a misinterpretation
Are there really any contradictions at all?

McQ

Welcome, Nergel, and thanks for the link. Reading it over, and looking at the various "contradictions" they post answers to, I found it amusing. I found I really don't give a hoot who Abijam's maternal grandmother was. It's interesting that I didn't find any real, meaty contradictions to go after. Most of these things seemed like ways to answer children's questions of the bible.

Pretty weak of them.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

I think basic Christian beliefs are contradictory, so I don't worry too much over examinging if Bible verses contradict or not; although I have found a few in the past

Btw, is the material from ask the atheist really a response to an atheist who asked a question or did the person listed as the author of all the site's content make it up based on what he percieves to be common questions atheists ask?  Just wondering, because if the author wrote the question himself then he did so ofter strangely since he makes comments about the question not having an extensive list of scripture, listing too many for one side, etc.

Nergel

Thanks
I doubt if so many atheists would ask him questions, he probably wrote it himself
I find their explanation pretty valid "For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights". Though experts say the Noah story had 2 authors becaus they seem to disagree so much. I think something is wrong with the christians methods, but I can't put my finger on it. Can someone explain this contradiction issue to me?, im rather confused

Whitney

Well, some contradictions can be explained as mistranslations...which opens up a whole other topic about how can the Bible be useful as the word of God if people can't seem to translate it properly.  The Bible also has many authors since it is an accumulation of works, so some contradictions would be expected if it is viewed as people's feelings about God rather than an inspired work.

I think there are numerous problems with the Christian method and of course those problem vary depending on the type of Christian.  The biggest problem is that so many Christians make a priori conclusions about the Bible being true when they really should be looking for an objective truth then examine how that applies to how much truth is contained in the Bible.

I wasn't even aware that there was much disucssion over contradictions with the Noah story (well, other than it contradicting with evidence we can gather from the earth) I have heard it claimed that genesis has two authors since the order of creation is different between 1 and 2.

Nergel

They would say that the bible is perfect, it's just us who changed the words
When I told them about apollonius and how much evidence there is that he existed they laughed. And when I compared Jesus to Dionysis and Mithra and others they just said it's fake and Jesus is the real one...and the next thing you know they call you ignorant
That's true about genesis. Christians says Genesis 2 is just a more detailed version of genesis 1(I wonder what about the order of things in each)
Makes you wonder, what is a contradiction?

donkeyhoty

"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson