News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What's crackin'?

Started by JackieB, April 26, 2010, 07:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackieB

Hello, this is my first time at this site and I decided to just create an account.  I have never joined a forum before checking it out until now, we'll see how that goes.

I guess that I am just looking to find some good conversation about the whole god thing and I am hoping to find some topics on raising children as atheists.  It is not something that I ever thought about until now.  My kids are 7 and 5 and already know about god and heaven.  So I am not really sure how to approach this.  I am an  atheist and my wife is agnostic.  My family(parents, extended family, father-in-law...) are all Christians and I haven't really come out of the closet to them.  I went to church throughout my entire childhood but never believed in christianity or god.  But I never told my parents.  I remember being very young and wondering "if there are so many religions, how do we know which one is right?"

I hope that this site will be able to deliver what I am looking for.

"If that chick don't wanna know, forget her."

"You know a lot of people go to college for seven years."
    "I know, they're called doctors."
    [/i]

elliebean

Hello and welcome, Jackie!  :)

Have fun browsing the forum and jump in anytime you like.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

pinkocommie

Welcome to the forum!  I love Butters, he's my favorite South Park 4th grader!  :D
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

joeactor

Welcome!

Seems like we've had some recent parenting conversations, so take a look around.

One was also on home schooling I believe...

Nice to meet you,
JoeActor

philosoraptor

Quote from: "JackieB"I went to church throughout my entire childhood but never believed in christianity or god.  But I never told my parents.  I remember being very young and wondering "if there are so many religions, how do we know which one is right?"

I used to wonder the same thing as a kid.  I remember going to a church retreat once, and asking the guest speaker how do we know we're right?  How do we know that the Greek or Norse or Hindu gods don't actually exist?  There is as much "proof" for them as the Christian god.  His answer was: because they don't exist.  Not very helpful.  But you are not alone in that thought.  Welcome to HAF.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

karadan

Good morning and welcome to the forum!  :cool:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.