News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Memory Making and Belief Creating

Started by Sophus, April 21, 2010, 01:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

New information on how our brains make memories. In short, each time we call upon a memory we summon the opportunity to alter it, given that proteins must be created in the synapse. OVer time our memories can not only fade but altered.
To be honest it doesn't surprise me. Psychologists have been saying this for a while. I can't help but wonder if the way we believe can be altered in this manner as well. Each time we reconsider a belief (a belief we really wish to subscribe to) is it possible that our will can gradually alter what seems plausible in reality? (Even if only to some degree...) This would presume not using real reason to determine one's particular belief. If true, the more someone thinks about something, if only at first pretending it to be true, they could in time reconstruct their reality.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Chewbie Chan

Interesting article.  :)

Quote from: "Sophus"I can't help but wonder if the way we believe can be altered in this manner as well. Each time we reconsider a belief (a belief we really wish to subscribe to) is it possible that our will can gradually alter what seems plausible in reality? (Even if only to some degree...) This would presume not using real reason to determine one's particular belief. If true, the more someone thinks about something, if only at first pretending it to be true, they could in time reconstruct their reality.

I don't have a clue how far trying to believe something happened would get in convincing yourself it did happen. Part of the problem would be the recollection of trying to believe itself. To feel that was necessary you would be aware of your doubt, which would reinforce the doubt.

I can behave as if something is real by deliberately imagining as if it were the case, like a method actor or actress 'becomes' the part they will play in a film or on stage. However, it would be considerably difficult to forget the knowledge that I was actually acting out a role in an imagined reality, therefore actually believing my imagined reality. If I wasn't deliberately imagining something its completely different. It would be as real as any first person experience.

Sophus

Quote from: "Chewbie Chan"I don't have a clue how far trying to believe something happened would get in convincing yourself it did happen. Part of the problem would be the recollection of trying to believe itself. To feel that was necessary you would be aware of your doubt, which would reinforce the doubt.
Indeed. What if one were to come up with some deepity answer to default on whenever doubt begins to emerge. Religions seem to come up with circular logic so you can't fall off of the bandwagon without having some answer to fall back on. I think people could possibly train themselves to quell such doubt with irrational deepities, because they're in a mode of having; they must attach themselves to this [strike:k9areadu]cult[/strike:k9areadu]religion to gain some sort of status amongst its community or above those atheists who don't own truth like they do. But I don't know if it's possible after one has already developed the habit of earnest inquiry on reality. Yet if we can alter memories, which are past experiences, I think beliefs could be altered to if we shut down reasonable thinking toward them. Don't many technically remember what they believe?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver