News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

How science became cool.

Started by karadan, April 13, 2010, 11:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

I found this fantastic collection of articles written by scientists and science journalists in the Guardian. I agree with it completely; science is cool.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ ... ience-cool

:yay:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Dretlin

I watched Professor Brian Cox's series and I thought it was fantastic.

I did start to notice how bloody brilliant that man was when he put on aviator sunglasses.

Ultima22689

Science was cool for me when I woke up to Bill Nye the Science Guy and Beakman's World. I wish someone would take up the mantle and teach science aimed at little kids again. I started watching both of those when I was 4.

karadan

Quote from: "Dretlin"I watched Professor Brian Cox's series and I thought it was fantastic.

I did start to notice how bloody brilliant that man was when he put on aviator sunglasses.

Heck yeah. It is a far cry from his D-Ream days.  roflol
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Dretlin

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "Dretlin"I watched Professor Brian Cox's series and I thought it was fantastic.

Heck yeah. It is a far cry from his D-Ream days.  roflol

I did not know that about him! Wow!

joeactor

Three words: Julius Sumner Miller
here's a sample:
[youtube:3a6sofsi]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbBakL9Cj8[/youtube:3a6sofsi]
(Science!)

... also liked Bill Nye and Paul Zaloom (sp?)

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

elliebean

Quote from: "joeactor"Three words: Julius Sumner Miller

Loved that show! Too bad I was always in school and missed it.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Dretlin

That is the first time I have ever seen, or heard, of Julius Sumner Miller - and I enjoyed every second.

joeactor

Quote from: "Dretlin"That is the first time I have ever seen, or heard, of Julius Sumner Miller - and I enjoyed every second.

Yeah, his show "Why Is It So?" is amazing... his excitement for science and teaching is just so evident.
Would have been great to have him as a teacher, no?

karadan

Quote from: "joeactor"
Quote from: "Dretlin"That is the first time I have ever seen, or heard, of Julius Sumner Miller - and I enjoyed every second.

Yeah, his show "Why Is It So?" is amazing... his excitement for science and teaching is just so evident.

I consider myself lucky in that regard. I had a multitude of teachers who dearly loved teaching their subject. One of my biology teachers would regularly jump on tables and act quite impulsively whilst gesticulating. Not because he was weird but simply through sheer excitement. His zest for science was contagious. I attribute my high science grades at school to his incredible teaching style.

He was also someone nobody ever crossed.  :hail:

Thanks for the link Joe, i'd not heard of Julius Sumner Miller before.

Chewbie Chan

Oh yeh Karadan! The enthusiasm of my Physics & Mathematics teachers at my UK College (High School) made a huge impression on me. They seemed to find their subjects so fascinating that the feeling caught on.

SSY

Pfft, I liked science before it was cool, before it got big, went mainstream and sold out, maaaaaaaan

Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

elliebean

Quote from: "SSY"Pfft, I liked science before it was cool, before it got big, went mainstream and sold out, maaaaaaaan

Like, when it was still on LP?

You're such a hipster.

*passes the PBR*
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Dretlin

Quote from: "joeactor"

I am trying to think of anyone from UK TV, in the past, that was similar.  :hmm:  

Anyone from the UK remember anything at all? If not then we have missed out!