Is the author of genesis a fool or a genius?

Started by fdesilva, April 13, 2010, 07:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdesilva

There was some person that lived thousands of years ago, in a world that consisted of little villages. When travel by most people was limited to a few hundred KM. When every day there was dawn and there was night. There were people being born and people dying. When nothing was known of what held the stars in place or how big they were. When everything in relation to nature is repetitive and stable in the small life span of this person.
What on earth would make this person even contemplate that there could have been a time in which there were no humans on earth, when there was no animals or plants, there was no earth itself. Would not this person saying there was such a time have not been considered a loony? Should not all the people that believed this crazy story also be loony? How did such a loony story survive the passage of time?
Today even if we don t except this persons attributing all this to be a result of the activities of a creator, we must accept that there was one thing that this person said that was right, that everything around us was not always there but came to be.

elliebean

What gave you the idea that Genesis is entirely original material, written by a single author? Or that by the time of its writing such ideas about origins hadn't become commonplace? Or that its authors meant anything written in it to be taken as literal facts, and not just part of a mythical tradition? Or that what you read in a modern translation says anything resembling the original text in its original language?

Consider that, being anything less than fluent in the original ancient Hebrew, being so far removed from the context of its time, location, and surrounding events and culture, having practically no frame of reference for their particular idioms, figures of speech, puns, play on words, jokes, sarcasm, double meanings, innuendo, allusions, or any other possible obfuscation of meaning, one can only speculate what any given passage might really be about. We assume most of it is pretty much literal, but we just don't know. We can't ever know.

Consider that other origin myths existed long before Genesis was written.

Consider that, of all the details in all the stories within the book of Genesis, the part about the universe having a beginning is probably by far the least "loony".
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

kelltrill

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/creation-ovid.html
Please check out this Creation myth written down in Ovid's Metamorphoses. It's my all time favourite, and it's so much like Genesis that it's quite astonishing, especially since it existed long before Genesis.
Creation myths are lovely folk tales, and I'm certain that people two thousand + years ago honestly believed them because they had limited understanding of the origins of the Earth and how the world works. It's only a medieval mentality that still clings to these fairytales in modern society in light of the evidence we now have available to us imo.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "fdesilva"Today even if we don t except this persons attributing all this to be a result of the activities of a creator, we must accept that there was one thing that this person said that was right, that everything around us was not always there but came to be.

And the assumption is that this should actually end with "...though, obviously, it was God, I'm just making a point."

First, see everything elliebean wrote. Spot on. Also, kelltrill provides a perfect example of the original resources the Genesis authors used.

Look into the Bible as a pre-modern text. It wasn't designed to provide a description of how people should live and believe, but was a way to bring people into the world through something "larger" than them.

The Bible is, was, and always will be a way to herd sheep. Life is hard, and it says to people, "I know life is hard, and you're great for suffering through it. And don't worry, there's someone out there, much more powerful than you can ever imagine, who loves you for you and wants you to be happy. So don't worry if you get shit on, just know that you're loved."  :|
-Curio

Dretlin

How many authors (that can be confidently confirmed) does Genesis have? And how many revisions and versions of it exist?

To answer your question this person/persons could have been insanely intelligent - as they have millions of people believing in fairy tales. That is quite a trick.

Whitney

Quote from: "fdesilva"What on earth would make this person even contemplate that there could have been a time in which there were no humans on earth, when there was no animals or plants, there was no earth itself.

What makes you think it is abnormal to wonder how everything got here?  We witness daily the cycle of life; birth and death...even a very primitive brain would naturally start to wonder if this same cycle applies to everything and that there might have been a time before humans, animals, and the earth were born.  How do you think these god myths started in the first place...Sun Father, earth mother; people trying to apply what they see on earth as the life cycle process to existence in general and it's turtles all the way down.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Dretlin"How many authors (that can be confidently confirmed) does Genesis have? And how many revisions and versions of it exist?

To answer your question this person/persons could have been insanely intelligent - as they have millions of people believing in fairy tales. That is quite a trick.
Christianity does not have the masses of adherents it does today because of well-reasoned arguments and intellectual integrity. It's due to force, coercion and social and physical threats. That's not a trick at all; it's violence, pure and simple.
-Curio

Dretlin

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "Dretlin"How many authors (that can be confidently confirmed) does Genesis have? And how many revisions and versions of it exist?

Christianity does not have the masses of adherents it does today because of well-reasoned arguments and intellectual integrity. It's due to force, coercion and social and physical threats. That's not a trick at all; it's violence, pure and simple.

That is a given.

fdesilva

Quote from: "elliebean"What gave you the idea that Genesis is entirely original material, written by a single author? Or that by the time of its writing such ideas about origins hadn't become commonplace? Or that its authors meant anything written in it to be taken as literal facts, and not just part of a mythical tradition? Or that what you read in a modern translation says anything resembling the original text in its original language?

Consider that, being anything less than fluent in the original ancient Hebrew, being so far removed from the context of its time, location, and surrounding events and culture, having practically no frame of reference for their particular idioms, figures of speech, puns, play on words, jokes, sarcasm, double meanings, innuendo, allusions, or any other possible obfuscation of meaning, one can only speculate what any given passage might really be about. We assume most of it is pretty much literal, but we just don't know. We can't ever know.

Consider that other origin myths existed long before Genesis was written.

Consider that, of all the details in all the stories within the book of Genesis, the part about the universe having a beginning is probably by far the least "loony".
Great to know you are still consciouss :)

Gawen

Quote from: "fdesilva"Great to know you are still consciouss :)
This is all you have to say to those that responded to you? Surely, you being a Christian, could summon the holy spirit and you could then rebuff all those replies.....right?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

fdesilva

Quote from: "Gawen"

pinkocommie

Quote from: "fdesilva"
Quote from: "Gawen"

Sometimes I just want to grab my computer screen and shout "MAKE SENSE!!!"  This is one of those times.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

fdesilva

Quote from: "pinkocommie"Sometimes I just want to grab my computer screen and shout "MAKE SENSE!!!"  This is one of those times.
Assuming you are referring to my statements
This
“Great to know you are still consciouss”
Was to  elliebean
In response to eliebians last comment on another thread to me
“If I read one more word written by you, I fear, I will cease to be conscious.”

This
"Actually it's the other way round"
Is in response to
Gewens
“This is all you have to say to those that responded to you? Surely, you being a Christian, could summon the holy spirit and you could then rebuff all those replies.....right?”

Meaning its not the Christian that summons the Holy Spirit But rather the Holy Spirit that summons the Christian :)

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

elliebean

Quote from: "fdesilva"Great to know you are still consciouss :blush:
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais