News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

a new video by derek neibarger

Started by djneibarger, April 12, 2007, 04:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djneibarger

hey all,
i just wanted to share the link for my new music video, "this man", which is my own musical declaration of independence from religion. this isn't meant to be an atheist ultimatum that speaks for all non-believers, but rather my own personal statement and a song i'm really proud of.
enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G0ZTSvjnpg

-derek neibarger

SteveS

Hi djneibarger,  I just listened to your video.  I liked it - it has a lot of emotion that I believe a lot of people who were raised religiously and later "left the faith" will probably identify with.  I was lucky to be raised without religion, but I'm not naive enough to believe that as a young child I'd have been actively questioning the teachings.  I don't think I'd have stood a chance, at least until later in life.

Which is why I particularly liked the lyric:

Quotethe child you lied to has grown into a man
Excellent!

djneibarger

thanks very much!

Scrybe

Cool.  It sounds a lot like the band Jagged Doctrine... which ironically is a Christian band.
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

djneibarger

lol
thanks! i hope i rock a little harder than the christian band, but i appreciate the compliment, anyway :)

Whitney

Great song.  I followed the link to your website and also like Bushit :)

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "Scrybe"which ironically...
Ehh, it's more a matter of musical taste than irony.  There are plenty of metal, punk, and hardcore "christian" bands.  They just happen to espouse God and faith rather than well, you know, cool stuff that us atheists do like orgies where we sacrifice goats, not to any deity, but just for shits and giggles.

Ironic would be Derek getting a gospel choir to sing his song.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

djneibarger

!
thanks, laetusatheos! i really appreciate it :)

as for the christian-band-comparison-thing, there are definitely some very heavy christian bands, and of course being religious has nothing to do with whether or not you're a talented musician. (of course many christian musicians think their gift came from god, which is just sad and funny).
what's really depressing is the fact that i've known a few really good musicians who turned to the christian-rock market not because they shared the faith, but simply because it was so easy to get gigs.
as far as me using a gospel choir? wow, that would be a bizarre turn of events.