News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Florida House passes school-prayer bill‎

Started by Sophus, April 09, 2010, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

elliebean

[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Evolved

Quote...a House panel this morning unanimously approved a watered-down school-prayer measure that sponsors hope will protect religious freedom.

What?  I live in Florida, right where these decisions are being made.  You can't step out into the street without tripping over a fucking Christian.  They need MORE freedom?
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

Sophus

roflol elliebean

Quote from: "Evolved"What? I live in Florida, right where these decisions are being made. You can't step out into the street without tripping over a fucking Christian. They need MORE freedom?
Tell me about it. It sucks that my kid is now not going to able to attend anything extracurricular without having to put up with the social pressure to participate in prayer. And who knows what kind of crap will be said in those prayers. This state is asinine.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

NeoHeathen

I don't care if you pray in school but don't cry about it if I start laughing.

buttercupbaby

I wonder what they're teaching in science class over there.   :raised:
If we evolved from a lower life form, why are there still  creationists?  

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "buttercupbaby"I wonder what they're teaching in science class over there.   :raised:
Something close to this, probably:

-Curio

karadan

"My graduation was to thank the people who helped get me there," Allen told the House panel. "I couldn't have given a speech without thanking God."

Why? WHY?? WHY?!

Why anyone would want to palm off their own hard work on something which had nothing to do with their success has always been beyond me. Surely it must lead to pretty hollow victories if you have to ascribe all the work done to someone who wasn't even there!
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "karadan""My graduation was to thank the people who helped get me there," Allen told the House panel. "I couldn't have given a speech without thanking God."

Why? WHY?? WHY?!

Why anyone would want to palm off their own hard work on something which had nothing to do with their success has always been beyond me. Surely it must lead to pretty hollow victories if you have to ascribe all the work done to someone who wasn't even there!

God is like the ultimate rabbit's foot.  If they kid doesn't thank him, the 'good luck' will end.  Of course, that 100% ignores the fact that good luck has far less to do with graduating than hard work, but I think for a lot of people, this is what happens when they put all that faith into a god - they have far less faith in themselves.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/