News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

New hominid species found

Started by Evolved, April 08, 2010, 08:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evolved

Uh oh.  The gaps are shrinking.  Soon God will have no where to hide.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8609192.stm
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

mama_ape

That's interesting but I don't think it matters how much is found or what science proves because people will still need and want the things that religion supplies.  Christianity alone has changed and, for lack of a better word, evolved continuously and it will probably always change to what the current masses need it to be no matter how many fossils are discovered.
So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

kelltrill

As pessimistic as I fear that statement is, I have to agree with you, mama ape. Religion isn't based on evidence, fact, or rationiality in my opinion. The amount of evidence for evolution at the moment, for example, is completely beyond undeniable, and yet creationism still abounds. It's because the very definition of faith is belief without proof, so the religious masses will always flock further away from science and reason the more "proof" science finds for something against their beliefs, if that makes sense.
I think that religion will be around in some form or another for a couple of millennia still, or until the end of the human race, whichever comes first.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

elliebean

That reminds me of something (I think it was) Stephen Colbert said, "If religion were based on facts, it would be called 'science' and no one would believe in it."
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

kelltrill

That's nearly exactly what Dawkinds said in his documentary, "The Enemies of Reason," with regards to superstitious healthcare. Something about, "it's supernatural healing because it hasn't been proven to work. If it was proven effective it would be natural healing and would also be called 'medicine.'"
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

Evolved

Boy, you guys are party poopers today.  :P

I know exactly what you're saying, though.  To hold on to faith despite mountains of evidence against it is considered virtuous by the religious.

At least we have a cool new set of fossils to study.
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

kelltrill

Omw, I just found out that these fossils were discovered in SA by South Africans. *feels proud*

Squid

The discovery was published in two separate articles and the interesting thing is that they are most likely Australopithecines but they shared some traits - pelvic structure, dental morphology - more closely with Homo habilis.  The sediments in which they were buried were dated by palaeomagnetism between 1.7 and 1.95 million years ago placing them awfully close to the ages for Homo habilis specimens. The flowstone immediately below the specimens was U-Pb dated to approximately 2 million years.  This find is interesting indeed and the overlap in features of two other previously established species of hominids is exactly what evolution predicts.

elliebean

Awesome. One less 'missing link'.  :)
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

theblasphemousbear

Quote from: "mama_ape"That's interesting but I don't think it matters how much is found or what science proves because people will still need and want the things that religion supplies.  Christianity alone has changed and, for lack of a better word, evolved continuously and it will probably always change to what the current masses need it to be no matter how many fossils are discovered.
Quote from: "kelltrill"As pessimistic as I fear that statement is, I have to agree with you, mama ape. Religion isn't based on evidence, fact, or rationiality in my opinion. The amount of evidence for evolution at the moment, for example, is completely beyond undeniable, and yet creationism still abounds. It's because the very definition of faith is belief without proof, so the religious masses will always flock further away from science and reason the more "proof" science finds for something against their beliefs, if that makes sense.
I think that religion will be around in some form or another for a couple of millennia still, or until the end of the human race, whichever comes first.

On the other hand, I'd say it's the existence of persistent Creationists (I say instead of religious members in general since hominid discoveries pertain more to the disproving of Creation) that makes a discovery like this so valuable. We have enough links in the form of fossils that, without the need to use this discovery as more evidence for Evolution, this new discovery could easily be shrugged off by anyone but the scientists truly interested in the process or type of fossil.
Silver lining, I guess.

Quote from: "Squid"The discovery was published in two separate articles and the interesting thing is that they are most likely Australopithecines but they shared some traits - pelvic structure, dental morphology - more closely with Homo habilis.  The sediments in which they were buried were dated by palaeomagnetism between 1.7 and 1.95 million years ago placing them awfully close to the ages for Homo habilis specimens. The flowstone immediately below the specimens was U-Pb dated to approximately 2 million years.  This find is interesting indeed and the overlap in features of two other previously established species of hominids is exactly what evolution predicts.
It's not necessarily surprising that it fits the link so well. It is, however, very good to see it finally placed - a concise link between the two genera is quite reaffirming to the power of evolution. Or, at the very least, our ability to predict placings based on it.

I feel a bit arrogant only thinking of the discovery in terms of its usefulness against Creationists, so I'll say this: this is a great addition to the list of fantastic archeological discoveries, and, hopefully, will be preserved for remembrance for a long time.
"Close to 2,000 years ago, a guy called Jesus claimed to be the son of God and preformed 'miracles.' We worshiped him. Close to twenty years ago, a guy named David did the same thing in Waco, Texas. We killed him. Now, I understand that our standards had changed by the second guy; what I don't understand is why we still worship the first guy."[/

Squid

Quote from: "theblasphemousbear"I feel a bit arrogant only thinking of the discovery in terms of its usefulness against Creationists...

Ah, don't feel bad.  That was the first thing I thought too.

Evolved

Quote from: "Squid"
Quote from: "theblasphemousbear"I feel a bit arrogant only thinking of the discovery in terms of its usefulness against Creationists...

Ah, don't feel bad.  That was the first thing I thought too.

Huh.  Good point.  Funny how I thought of the HAF as soon as I saw the article.
Chapman Cohen

Kidnapkid

Guys, there totally needs to be a touring show with ALL the fossils (or lovely casts) side by side in a lovely narrative that can go city to city educating the uneducated.

:blink: I smell moooonnnneeeyyyy... Fetch
"We never know just where our bones will rest. To dust, I guess. Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below." -Billy Corgan

kelltrill

I like to think this isn't shameless self-promotion, but the bones were on display at my local museum in Cape Town, SA today and by some fluke of luck I got to see them. They flew all the way from Johannesburg for the two day exhibit. Exhilarating!

Photos up on my blog.
http://bit.ly/cogEYM

elliebean