News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

When Was Jesus Crucified?

Started by Sophus, March 31, 2010, 07:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Okay, so the Gospels weren't written until forty-five to over a hundred years after the supposed hearsay Messiah lived, and even a sole non-magical version of him probably never existed anyways. But let's have some Easter fun! According to the Bible when did the crucifixion take place?

There's some discrepancy on the time. According to Mark 15:25
QuoteAnd it was the third hour, and they crucified him.

Yet John 19:14 says this
QuoteIt was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour. "Here is your king," Pilate said to the Jews.

So... the gospels can't agree on a time. What about the day?

Matthew 27:62 â€" “The next day, the one after the Preparation Day, the chief priests and the Pharisees went to Pilate.” This was the day after the crucifixion. Matthew says it is the day “after Preparation Day.”

Mark 15:42 â€" “It was Preparation Day (that is, the day before the Sabbath). So as evening approached..." This is the day of the crucifixion. Mark says “It was Preparation Day.”

Luke 23:5 â€" “It was Preparation Day, and the Sabbath was about to begin.” This is the day of the crucifixion. Luke says “It was Preparation Day.”

John 19:14 - Now it was Preparation Day of the Passover. This is the day of the crucifixion. John says “it was Preparation Day.”

Oh my God, they agree on something. Of course, that doesn't necessarily help their case of Jesus' divinity because:

Quote from: "Matthew 12:38-40."Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to him, “Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.” But he answered them “An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign; but no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

This has caused some Christians to disagree that the resurrection would occur on a Sunday after just being crucified on a "good" Friday (obviously the math doesn't add up). Some scholars argue he was crucified on a Wednesday and rose on the Sabbath (Saturday). Problem solved. Except either way you look at it there are flaws in the story. So I think this deserves a fail stamp:

As for the date - why even bother! Isaac Newton said it was 34 A.D. Some others came along and said it was 33 A.D. But seriously... is there anyway we can really know when the authors intended the date to be?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

curiosityandthecat

It's a trick question. Jesus was never crucified. He was sent off to live with his brother, Dwayne, over an embarrassing misunderstanding involving a goat, two gourds and a make-shift blender.
-Curio

Evolved

QuoteWhen Was Jesus Crucified?

Probably when they nailed his ass to the cross.

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Dretlin

Any "details" could be lost in the vast amount of revisions the bible has gone through.

Our most ancient fairy tales are more intact then the bible. Of course their is no anti-Semitic, political or racist motives to deface most fairy tales. Most.

happynewyear

Jesus was never crucified because Jesus never existed.
If you have evidence to the contrary I would love to know about it.

Sophus

Quote from: "happynewyear"Jesus was never crucified because Jesus never existed.
If you have evidence to the contrary I would love to know about it.
Yeah, I know. Reread the first sentence. :) I was only looking at this from the fantasy Biblical perspective.