News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The Programming Thread

Started by Renegnicat, October 27, 2009, 05:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneMateria

Awesome link A|P.  My gf's, mom's, bf uses that site to learn new stuff (he is Indian [dot not feather] but a Christian from India).  Heather's mom recognized the voice from the video.  I'm definately gonna watch these half hour lectures in my spare time ... which I still have lots of.

Hey A|P do you know any good places to look for contract work for programmers?  Or, hell, any job really?
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

AlP

I haven't looked for contract work in years. I do the exempt employee thing.

When I'm looking for work I update my resume on linkedin.com and get some recent colleagues to add recommendations. That's useful because there are recruiters actively searching resumes on linkedin and because it's helpful to be able to give someone a URL with all that information. I used to do the same thing with monster.com but I think it's dead now. Then I start emailing and making calls to companies I'm interested in working for. Sorry, no easy answer.

I have a very strong feeling that this company might be hiring (like rabid software engineer hiring maniacal lunatics that really want to hire software engineers). Just a strong feeling that they might be mind you.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/

They have an excellent paid internship program too.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

LoneMateria

thanx for the help.  I'm checking out the google jobs you listed.  I'm already on Linkedin but I got nothing.  I may need to update my resume lol.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.

AlP

This is the cheesiest version of this song I could find.
[youtube:2ekuv017]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S1fISh-pag[/youtube:2ekuv017]
Write in Java!

Tom62

That reminds me of another Beatles song:

Yesterday (based on Yesterday, The Beatles)
      Yesterday,
      All those backups seemed a waste of pay
      Now my database has gone away
      Oh, I believe in yesterday

Suddenly,
      There's not half the files there used to be
      There's a deadline hanging over me
      The system crashed so suddenly

I - pushed - something wrong
      What it was I could not say

Now - all my data's gone
      and I long for yesterday-ay-ay-ay

Yesterday,
      The need for back-ups seemed so far away
      I knew my data was all here to stay
      Now I believe in yesterday
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

AlP

#!/usr/bin/perl

APPEAL:

listen (please, please);

open yourself, wide;
    join (you, me),
connect (us,together),

tell me.

do something if distressed;

@dawn, dance;
    @evening, sing;
    read (books,$poems,stories) until peaceful;
    study if able;

write me if-you-please;

sort your feelings, reset goals, seek (friends, family, anyone);

do*not*die (like this)
        if sin abounds;

keys (hidden), open (locks, doors), tell secrets;
do not, I-beg-you, close them, yet.

accept (yourself, changes),
                            bind (grief, despair);

require truth, goodness if-you-will, each moment;

select (always), length(of-days)

# listen (a perl poem)
# Sharon Hopkins
# rev. June 19, 1995
Link

Tom62

Some other silly stuff:

There are 10 types of people in the world
Those who understand binary and those who don't

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Why did the Integer drown?
Because he couldn't Float!

package MS.pickpocket.utils

public class MSUtils {
  public static C# getC#(){
    return ( C# )new Java().clone();
  }
}
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

LoneMateria

theTwiz

Quote from: "Tom62"jokes

Why do geeks celebrate Christmas on Halloween?
Because Oct. 31 = Dec. 25
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

joeactor

How many programmers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None.
(it's a hardware problem)

Tom62

A man is smoking a cigarette and blowing smoke rings into the air.  His girlfriend becomes irritated with the smoke and says, “Can’t you see the warning on the cigarette pack?  Smoking is hazardous to your health!”  To which the man replies, “I am a programmer.  We don’t worry about warnings; we only worry about errors.”

A computer science student is studying under a tree and another pulls up on a flashy new bike.  The first student asks, “Where’d you get that?”
The student on the bike replies, “While I was studying outside, a beautiful girl pulled up on her bike.  She took off all her clothes and said, ‘You can have anything you want’.” The first student responds, “Good choice!  Her clothes probably wouldn’t have fit you.”
Robert A. Heinlein

LoneMateria

http://code.google.com/edu/languages/google-python-class/

I just happened to look on reddit's front page and this was up there.  Google can teach you python.  So if anyone was interested in Python and just haven't learned it (like me) then this might be good.

LoneMateria

I saw this comic and I figured you all would appreciate it.