News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Near-death-experience of a blind woman

Started by Qtipie, March 25, 2010, 01:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qtipie

Recently, I read about a near-death-experience of a blind woman, who made verifiable and correct observations [Ri 2], after having had an out-of-body-experience. At Long Island, the 70-years old blind woman specified very accurate and clear, what happened around her, when she was resuscitated after an heart attack. This woman has been blind since she was 18 years old. She was not only able to describe precisely the medical devices, but also their colour. These medical devices were not invented at the time, when that woman lost her eyesight about fifty years ago. Surprisingly, she even knew, that the physician had a blue suit, when he started the resuscitation [M 17].

[Ri 2] Kenneth Ring, Sharon Cooper: Mindsight. Near Death and Out-of-Body experiences in the Blind. New York, Bloomington, Shanghai: iUniverse ISBN 978-0-595-43497-8 p. 26

[M 17] Raymond A. Moody (übersetzt durch Lieselotte Mietzner): Das Licht von Drüben, Neue Fragen und Antworten. 1989 Reinbek bei Hamburg: Rowohlt. ISBN 3-498-04315-3 p. 175

(see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_death_experience ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-body_experience )

How could one explain something like this? What's your opinion?

curiosityandthecat

It would be amazing if she had been locked in a room since she was 18. But, as I think it's safe to assume she hadn't, she's probably had some exposure to popular culture and, hopefully, if she wanted to know what something looked like, she had someone there that would tell her. It's not so hard to imagine that she would listen to ER while her daughter (for example) watched it, and her daughter would describe what was happening. "So what's making that beeping noise?" "That's a heart-rate monitor. It's a little white box with a screen on the front that shows a green line that jumps up and down when your heart beeps. That flat-tone you hear is when the line goes dead and the person's heart isn't beating anymore."

:|

And she guessed the color of a suit. Wow. Amazing, considering it's another fairly safe assumption that when a man wears a suit it's black, gray or blue. Even if it were scrubs, scrubs are pretty much always yellow, green or blue. Again, 1/3 chance.

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.
-Curio

Whitney

I think I'll go with option c

She may have been legally blind but not fully blind (there is a difference)

or option d:

The story is made up just like that story about the teacher and april fools day is made up yet people believe it is a real story.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Whitney"The story is made up just like that story about the teacher and april fools day is made up yet people believe it is a real story.
Touche!

http://www.islamicboard.com/miscellaneous/134295333-near-death-experience-blind-woman.html
http://www.christianforums.com/t7452181/

:ban:
-Curio

Whitney

Qtipie,

All you ever do is post an odd topic without supporting your claims then not respond for a while then come back and repeat.  Care to stop that trend or shall we consider you a spammer?

btw, I removed the poll because it forced people to select poor options.

Ellainix

Why would we try to explain it? If I were a scientist, I would look into ways to experiment with near-death experiences. Unfortunately, near death experiences probably aren't high on the list of ethical experiments.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Sophus

Quote from: "Ellainix"Why would we try to explain it? If I were a scientist, I would look into ways to experiment with near-death experiences. Unfortunately, near death experiences probably aren't high on the list of ethical experiments.
We talked a little bit about that here.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.