News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: 16 percent of biology teachers believe God created humans.

Started by Kidnapkid, March 12, 2010, 02:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Kidnapkid

I once had a science teacher refuse to teach me anything after finding out I was an atheist. She just blatantly ignored me or told me "It's not her job to teach, it's my job to learn." There was a big difference in the class before my outing and after. I still passed, mostly because I think I already knew more than my teacher and can/could always pass tests. We didn't have evolution or creationism in my high school. It was just left out completely (either by my teacher or because of curriculum, I have no idea which.) I mostly came to my knowledge of evolution from tv shows and outside reading.
"We never know just where our bones will rest. To dust, I guess. Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below." -Billy Corgan

elliebean

Quote from: "Kidnapkid""It's not her job to teach, it's my job to learn."

Funny how she was the only one getting paid. You know, at your job?

Sounds like she was rightly afraid so say anything to you that could potentially out her as an ignoramus in front of the whole class. Hmmmf...intellectually intimidated by a high school student.  :shake:
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Puddinhead

I'd love to see this data broken down by state.  These guys have to be in the red states.

I was raised in Wyoming.  On the final for biology, one of the two essay questions was:  Describe why evolution is a flawed theory.  My biology teacher was an elder in our church :)

karadan

Quote from: "Kidnapkid"I once had a science teacher refuse to teach me anything after finding out I was an atheist. She just blatantly ignored me or told me "It's not her job to teach, it's my job to learn." There was a big difference in the class before my outing and after. I still passed, mostly because I think I already knew more than my teacher and can/could always pass tests. We didn't have evolution or creationism in my high school. It was just left out completely (either by my teacher or because of curriculum, I have no idea which.) I mostly came to my knowledge of evolution from tv shows and outside reading.

Wow... Just, wow...  :brick:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

curiosityandthecat

In other news, 16% of biology teachers wear helmets to eat dinner.
-Curio

McQ

It just doesn't get any easier to hear this kind of news. The stupid still hurts, and it's just so depressing.

Arthur C. Clarke, please come back and assure me that humans will grow out of this phase! Please!
 :)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

joeactor

Ok McQ... you made me look up "Laphroaig"

I thought it might be something like agutak (aka. Akutaq), but yours sounds much better.

Back on topic... I can only hope that if they're that bad at biology, they won't be able to figure out how to breed.

Disturbing statistic.
JoeActor

McQ

Quote from: "joeactor"Ok McQ... you made me look up "Laphroaig"

I thought it might be something like agutak (aka. Akutaq), but yours sounds much better.

Back on topic... I can only hope that if they're that bad at biology, they won't be able to figure out how to breed.

Disturbing statistic.
JoeActor

Sláinte!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

dogsmycopilot

Quote from: "Kidnapkid"I once had a science teacher refuse to teach me anything after finding out I was an atheist. She just blatantly ignored me or told me "It's not her job to teach, it's my job to learn." There was a big difference in the class before my outing and after. I still passed, mostly because I think I already knew more than my teacher and can/could always pass tests. We didn't have evolution or creationism in my high school. It was just left out completely (either by my teacher or because of curriculum, I have no idea which.) I mostly came to my knowledge of evolution from tv shows and outside reading.
Your experience sounds very similar to mine. My biology teacher was very theist and I was pagan at the time so it's not like I didn't believe I just didn't believe her when her answer was "because god made it." That's the wild part to me, they resent anyone who approaches science with enthusiasm. It's not enough to be a believer you have to think the earth is 6000 years old, too. I felt so sorry for other kids in the class. We have colleges here like Mississippi College that are teaching new teachers to take the creationism into the classroom.  :eek:

Squid

Actually for those with just an undergraduate level education in biology I don't find this very surprising at all.  Then there's autodidacts in biology such as myself (although not all my education in biology is self administered) which must shake our heads when someone was a collegiate biology major and holds creationism as a possibly "alternative theory".  For those with doctorate level training holding this contention there is no excuse and is saddening.

pinkocommie

Ohhhh it's not just red states.  I grew up in liberal hippie central, western Washington, and had a biology teacher in 7th grade, Mr. Rothlesburger, who would wear a GIANT jesus belt buckle to class who used to make fun of science as he taught it.  Every lesson was peppered with comments about how the school board was forcing him to teach certain things, but we didn't have to believe it, we just had to pass the tests.  He hated me because I had reading period right before his class so I would have to sit in his class while I read and I often read books about Paganism at that time (keep in mind, 7th grade misanthropic girl) and one day he commented on how I wasn't allowed to read 'that filth' in his class anymore because it offended him.  I remember being instantly super pissed off and without thinking shot back "well, your giant Jesus buckle offends me, but you don't see me bitching about it so you keep your opinions to yourself and I'll keep mine to myself.'  I remember he got the douchiest smile on his face and sent me to the office for disrespecting him, where I promptly told the office lady what had happened and she promptly told me to hang out for the rest of the class and not worry about Mr. R.  The next day I went in and read the same book and he didn't say a word.  A few years later when I had just graduated from high school, I heard that he finally got fired for being an asshole and of course, he cried persecution and tried to make himself a martyr.  I always wished I had been more annoying about the whole interaction because I knew if I wanted to I could have probably gotten him fired or at least I would have gotten more people talking about what a HORRIBLE science teacher he was, but I was in 7th grade reading books about Paganism.  I was pretty stupid back then myself.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Kylyssa

Quote from: "pinkocommie"I was pretty stupid back then myself.

I think that "stupid" or at least naive and flighty is breed standard for humans in seventh grade.  Children can be excused for magical thinking.

dogsmycopilot

Pinkcommie, you sound so much like me at that age. I feel like I could have written that!

Maskeff

After getting to know a few teachers its worrying to realise how ignorant many of them are given the position in society they hold.