News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

God is love

Started by katiebam, March 11, 2010, 02:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdesilva

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "fdesilva"
Quote from: "pinkocommie"I still prefer "god is a sock".  Makes the same amount of sense.
Is there anything in your life that takes priority above everything else? Maybe that keeps changing from day to day. If there is such a thing in your life and let’s say it is x then maybe you should say god is x. Or is x in fact your socks? :)
I don't think reasonably anything can take priority over one's life itself. Through life all other priorities become possible. This is why (and I don't know if feel this way) loving god above life doesn't make any sense to me.
The in your case the Christian message would be this.
1. Give life the first place (Live life to the fullest)
2. Treasure all life as much as you treasure yours.

BTW Christ said I am the way the truth and the life

pinkocommie

Quote from: "pinkocommie"I still prefer "god is a sock".  Makes the same amount of sense.
Is there anything in your life that takes priority above everything else? Maybe that keeps changing from day to day. If there is such a thing in your life and let’s say it is x then maybe you should say god is x. Or is x in fact your socks? :)

I don't believe in god, which is why x might as well be a sock.  No matter what I might replace for x, the statement is still ridiculous because it begins with 'God is...'
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Sophus

Quote from: "Sophus"I don't think reasonably anything can take priority over one's life itself. Through life all other priorities become possible. This is why (and I don't know if feel this way) loving god above life doesn't make any sense to me.

Right, but he also said, "He who does not hate his father and his mother cannot be a disciple to me." Even the generous interpretation of this, which is that it merely is meant to imply you must love Jesus above all others, would support my earlier claim.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

noquarter

Quote from: "fdesilva"The in your case the Christian message would be this.

Put simply "God is Life".
"I AM", the way, the truth, and the life. Jesus here is pointing to where God can be found in each of us.
Consciousness ,the "I AM" in each one of us is where God dwells.
God ="I AM"
God ="the Way"
God ="the Truth"
God ="the Life".
Forgive them for they know not what they do

noquarter

Quote from: "Sophus"Right, but he also said, "He who does not hate his father and his mother cannot be a disciple to me." Even the generous interpretation of this, which is that it merely is meant to imply you must love Jesus above all others, would support my earlier claim.

What Jesus is pointing to here is that you must renounce everything, even that which you hold most dear.
Not in a physical way but metaphorically.
Forgive them for they know not what they do

pinkocommie

I don't understand why consciousness requires the complication of god.  God seems entirely arbitrarily tacked on to me.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "noquarter"
Quote from: "Sophus"Right, but he also said, "He who does not hate his father and his mother cannot be a disciple to me." Even the generous interpretation of this, which is that it merely is meant to imply you must love Jesus above all others, would support my earlier claim.

What Jesus is pointing to here is that you must renounce everything, even that which you hold most dear.

What is the point of metaphorically renouncing something?

fdesilva

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Sophus"I don't think reasonably anything can take priority over one's life itself. Through life all other priorities become possible. This is why (and I don't know if feel this way) loving god above life doesn't make any sense to me.

Right, but he also said, "He who does not hate his father and his mother cannot be a disciple to me." Even the generous interpretation of this, which is that it merely is meant to imply you must love Jesus above all others, would support my earlier claim.
Christ also said Love your enemies. Further one of the Commandments is Honour your Father and Mother , so then what’s Christ saying..
In my opinion
Hate is lack of Love. Also Love is shown by actions. So in your case if your zest for life takes you away from your parents thus reducing your ability to love them (reduced love = hate) then so be it.
p.s I also read someware that hebrew does not have to many words as such word like hate has more than one meaning based on context

fdesilva

"I AM", the way, the truth, and the life. Jesus here is pointing to where God can be found in each of us.
God ="I AM"
God ="the Way"
God ="the Truth"
God ="the Life".
I am = Consciossness I like that , I like to think that God is the Soul of my soul if I put God first in what I do.

Ellavemia

None of what Christ said matters if one doesn't believe in a god. Many people posing as saviors have said similar things since Jesus' time. All that is irrelevant to the argument of whether a god exists or not.

Dretlin

Quote from: "katiebam"why you are so against this logic. :idea:

What logic? Their is zero logic in that. That is why it is referred to as a belief. No matter how strongly you belief in something - it will never make that all important leap to knowledge.

Whitney

So....you just throw around the word god in place of the word of important.....that just seems like a desperate attempt to find god where it doesn't exist.

My family and friends are god....ya, that makes perfect sense and doesn't in any way make me sound crazy.....

Whitney

Quote from: "fdesilva"That is the big question we take for granted or we think we know the answer,  do we really? Love is expressed in many ways and is present in all of the above however what is it?

We've (or more specifically, Squid) already covered the science of love:  viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4229&p=55225#p55225

Whitney

God ="I AM"
God ="the Way"
God ="the Truth"
God ="the Life".
I am = Consciossness I like that , I like to think that God is the Soul of my soul if I put God first in what I do.

Could you both try to stay on topic....thanks.

Sophus

QuoteWhat Jesus is pointing to here is that you must renounce everything, even that which you hold most dear.
Got to be honest.... that doesn't make it sound any better. "Renounce everyone but me." That's not love. That's narcissism. That Jesus quote sounds like something a cult leader would say.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver