News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Well, here goes...

Started by Diosjenin, March 10, 2010, 11:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diosjenin

So during the course of an exchange over on Reddit's r/Christianity, I mentioned that I was interested in finding a place to converse cordially with an atheist community that wasn't a vitriolic, immature circle-jerk (as I feel r/Atheism tends to be).  LoneMateria mentioned HAF, and after some looking around it does seem like it lives up to the 'happy' part of the name... so here I am.

I am a 21-year old guy going to UIUC for computer science.  I keep up with current events and tend to lean quite liberal.  I'm an accomplished LEGO builder, a habitual PC gamer, and I'm so deep into knowledge of computer hardware that I frankly doubt I'll ever be able to see the acronym 'HAF' and not first think of a line of cases by Cooler Master.

Oh, and I am a Christian.  (I *can* say that on here, right?   ;))

Hope to engage in some friendly discussion with you all!

- Diosjenin -
And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love.  But the greatest of these is love.

Ellainix

Quote from: "Diosjenin"a vitriolic, immature circle-jerk

Where can I get some of this?
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

LoneMateria

:welcome:  :welcome:

Glad you decided to join us. ^_^
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

notself

Diosjenin

:)[/quote]

If I am correct in interpreting that acronym as Reformed Church of Christ, then no - I consider myself strictly non-denominational (although I greatly admire the Mennonite focus on social justice).

This place seems nice and friendly already.  :)

- Diosjenin -
And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love.  But the greatest of these is love.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Diosjenin":P  Glad to see you've been keeping track of me, LoneMateria.

What can I say, I like to keep track of my evil minions  :D
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Whitney

Welcome to the forum...It's nice to have a christian stop by who wants to be respectful.  Unfortunately that isn't very common.

Tanker

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find the conversations you were looking for. I can't remember who said it but "the most boring conversations are the one where everyone agrees".
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

notself

Quote from: "Diosjenin"
Quote from: "notself"Dios,
Are you RCC?
Welcome. :)
 - Diosjenin -

Your screen name of the word god in Spanish indicated a Catholic upbringing to me. Of course it could be a reference to the band.

I don't know much about Mennonites.  I admire Quakers because of their focus on non-violence.

elliebean

Hi Diosjenin! Welcome to the forum.  :)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

kelltrill

"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

Diosjenin

Quote from: "notself"Your screen name of the word god in Spanish indicated a Catholic upbringing to me. Of course it could be a reference to the band.

I don't know much about Mennonites.  I admire Quakers because of their focus on non-violence.

*facepalm*  Of course - Roman Catholic Church.  Sorry, I haven't seen it abbreviated as RCC in a very long time.

The Mennonites and the Quakers definitely have the nonviolence thing in common.  Mennonites try to focus just as much effort into social justice, too (don't know about Quakers).

As for the username... heh.  I came across the word 'Diosgenin' while flipping through a science trivia book back in high school - some kind of yam secretion - and thought that if you replaced the 'g' with a 'j' it would look pretty cool.  I use it as an alias more or less everywhere on the internet, but I don't have the slightest idea how to pronounce it (it's really funny to hear people try over voice on TF2).  Just a collection of letters that looks nice.  No Catholic influence, and definitely no Spanish influence.  I'm about as white as it gets.  ;)

- Diosjenin -

theTwiz

Welcome! Glad to see someone else with the same religion as me here. And by that, I mean habitual gaming and being a computer hardware nerd, of course :D

Since you're the new kid you have to tell us what kind of setup you're running.

Just kidding, but here's my specs for you to either admire or tell me I need to upgrade (probably the latter):
NON COMPUTER NERDS STOP READING YOUR HEAD WILL EXPLODE

E6600 2.4Ghz @ 3.0Ghz (with stock cooling!)
XFX 8800GT 256MB
4GB Crucial PC5300 4-4-4-12
Asus P5B-P
WD 120GB SE (System)
2x WD 250GB 7200RPM in RAID 0 (Storage, games)
Creative X-Fi
Case: Lian-Li PC-65B
And I have it wired all fancy for airflow

Oh and P.S. I'll second what Whitney said about it being nice to have a Christian who is respectful around. Or as I like to say, who is Christ-like and not just "Christian".

Edit: awesome avatar btw
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Diosjenin

Ha!  Not much of a setup to speak of; I'm a poor college student, so I run everything on an increasingly finicky ~2.5 y.o. Toshiba 17" monster with a Mobility Radeon 2600.  It gets through Source games just fine, but I've had to become used to lower framerates in most other games.

Your setup isn't too bad - just aged.  About 3 years old, maybe 3.5, I would guess?  Impressive overclock for just the stock cooler, though.  Core 2 always did overclock wonderfully.  Still, an upgrade never hurts... :)

- Diosjenin -