News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Religion Wired in Our Brains?

Started by cate, March 04, 2010, 01:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cate

I've come across this article today: http://hottopicsonline.info/science/is- ... eal-or-not

I think it goes along with many other studies that have, for example, shown which areas in the brain are active while praying (apparently the same one as after one consumed drugs).

In addition, I have started reading "The Origin of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" by Julian Jaynes. I'm not sure whether I agree with his basic argument (consciousness has just evolved about 3,000 years ago), but he certainly provides a lot of food for thought with respect to where religion comes from.

Anyway, my question is: What do you think of this?

And if any of you have read Jaynes, what do you think of his thesis?

Kidnapkid

I've been thinking about religion in the brain for quite a while. BBC Horizon did a wonderful show about it back in 2003 called 'God on the Brain' and it'd be worth watching if you're into all this god-brain stuff. http://www.tv-links.cc/documentary/horizon-god-on-the-brain.htm

This post sort of relates to a post I made a few weeks ago about ADHD and religion. I'd love to have a scan done on my brain. I have Temporal Lobe ADHD and have been an atheist all my life. I've been wondering if there is a relationship between my ADHD and my atheism for a while now. It's been a theory for a while that epilepsy can cause heightened spiritual awareness, and in the program they even found a guy who is a life long atheist who had a religious type experience during a seizure. If scientists are doing all these experiments trying to locate the cerebral response that relates to religion and actually finding scientific data that makes sense I think it's worth doing a study that goes in the opposite direction. I hope they get around to it someday.

I personally think that as more research is done we'll have a better understanding about how religion works in the brain, and maybe it'll open some eyes, heighten some consciousnesses. The more we understand about how the brain works the more we can combat this genetic tendency towards religion, and thus end wars, hate crimes, bigotry, and even maybe help save the environment, and put humanity on a path of social acceptance and education.
"We never know just where our bones will rest. To dust, I guess. Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below." -Billy Corgan

Tanker

Quote from: "Kidnapkid"I've been thinking about religion in the brain for quite a while. BBC Horizon did a wonderful show about it back in 2003 called 'God on the Brain' and it'd be worth watching if you're into all this god-brain stuff. http://www.tv-links.cc/documentary/horizon-god-on-the-brain.htm

This post sort of relates to a post I made a few weeks ago about ADHD and religion. I'd love to have a scan done on my brain. I have Temporal Lobe ADHD and have been an atheist all my life. I've been wondering if there is a relationship between my ADHD and my atheism for a while now. It's been a theory for a while that epilepsy can cause heightened spiritual awareness, and in the program they even found a guy who is a life long atheist who had a religious type experience during a seizure. If scientists are doing all these experiments trying to locate the cerebral response that relates to religion and actually finding scientific data that makes sense I think it's worth doing a study that goes in the opposite direction. I hope they get around to it someday.

I personally think that as more research is done we'll have a better understanding about how religion works in the brain, and maybe it'll open some eyes, heighten some consciousnesses. The more we understand about how the brain works the more we can combat this genetic tendency towards religion, and thus end wars, hate crimes, bigotry, and even maybe help save the environment, and put humanity on a path of social acceptance and education.

Hmm, interesting hypothysis. I too have ADD which was pretty severe in my youth and while still bad I have developed some coping methods. I have been a prety skeptical sort for as long as I can remember. I remember not thinking Santa was real when I was 4 or 5. It just seemed silly to me...at 5. I was probably better decsribed as an agnostic till I was 13 simply because I lacked enough information to really know what I believed. I've been an Atheist since.

Who knows mabye there is a link.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Kidnapkid

QuoteI remember not thinking Santa was real when I was 4 or 5. It just seemed silly to me...at 5.

I was so terrified of Santa that my mom told me he wasn't real when I was 3 or 4 (kinda hard to remember) just to stop me from crying. See we didn't have a fire place, yet somehow he could still come into my house, could see me when I'm sleeping. Knew if I was bad or good.... SCARY!

I do wish there were some more objective studies being done between religious and non religious behavior. It would be interesting just to see the amount of people on this forum diagnosed with Add/ADHD as opposed those not.
"We never know just where our bones will rest. To dust, I guess. Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below." -Billy Corgan

i_am_i

Maybe, just maybe, superstition is what's wired in our brains. Step on a crack, black cat crosses your path, Friday the 13th, knock on wood, throwing salt over the shoulder, witches, vampires, werewolves, an invisible intelligence up in the sky, and so on. To me it's all cut from the same cloth.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Fallen Jedii

Quote from: "i_am_i"Maybe, just maybe, superstition is what's wired in our brains. Step on a crack, black cat crosses your path, Friday the 13th, knock on wood, throwing salt over the shoulder, witches, vampires, werewolves, an invisible intelligence up in the sky, and so on. To me it's all cut from the same cloth.

I agree, but I also believe that if a person was never exposed to religion, they wouldn't think of god or any other magic pixie in the sky. I mean, a thousand years ago it was different. Nobody knew how the world worked, so they accepted the teachings of god as fact.

If a person was raised on science from the beginning, would they even think of religion? I can't see it happening.

i_am_i

Quote from: "Fallen Jedii"
Quote from: "i_am_i"Maybe, just maybe, superstition is what's wired in our brains. Step on a crack, black cat crosses your path, Friday the 13th, knock on wood, throwing salt over the shoulder, witches, vampires, werewolves, an invisible intelligence up in the sky, and so on. To me it's all cut from the same cloth.

I agree, but I also believe that if a person was never exposed to religion, they wouldn't think of god or any other magic pixie in the sky. I mean, a thousand years ago it was different. Nobody knew how the world worked, so they accepted the teachings of god as fact.

If a person was raised on science from the beginning, would they even think of religion? I can't see it happening.

I would tend to agree, I guess. But it's impossible for anyone to grow up in this country without being exposed to religion in some way, shape or form.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Fallen Jedii

Quote from: "i_am_i"
Quote from: "Fallen Jedii"

I would tend to agree, I guess. But it's impossible for anyone to grow up in this country without being exposed to religion in some way, shape or form.

And that's the only problem with my theory. It's always going to be around and you're always going to run into it.

cate

I grew up in East Germany. Religion never played much of a role in my life and, for the most part, was even viewed rather suspiciously by officials.

Then, am I an atheist because of the lack of religious education in my childhood?

I would like to think that that is not the main reason, but that there is more credibility to an atheist, secular, naturalist worldview.

Birdcrazy

Yep, a big part of it is how you are raised, but that can change. I was raised a fundie but attracted to science at a young age. My mind was split for so long. Thankfully I was allowed to pursue science and I learned lots more going into zoology and decided against religion.

But I have met people also in my old campus christian group that went the opposite direction. One guy I know was raised a non-believer and his mother was even concerned he eventually turned to fundamentalism, he was attracted to science too and in our huge campus group, we were the only two natural science majors. He eventually said he got a calling from God to ditch science, and instead became a youth pastor.

Since I am not him, I don't know what went through his mind. I think some people just fall for a false sense of answers or something... everyone is different.

Heretical Rants

I was exposed to several religions.  The knowledge that there were so many different ways of mystical thinking out there made me rather sceptical of all of them.  I also vaguely remember a book on superstition I read when I was 4 years old.
Quote from: "Kidnapkid"
QuoteI remember not thinking Santa was real when I was 4 or 5. It just seemed silly to me...at 5.

I was so terrified of Santa that my mom told me he wasn't real when I was 3 or 4 (kinda hard to remember) just to stop me from crying. See we didn't have a fire place, yet somehow he could still come into my house, could see me when I'm sleeping. Knew if I was bad or good.... SCARY!
I, too, was afraid of Santa, until I figured out it was just my parents.  After that, I calmed down a lot, stopped blocking the fireplace with random junk, and let my parents have their fun.

Chewbie Chan

Quote from: "Fallen Jedii"I agree, but I also believe that if a person was never exposed to religion, they wouldn't think of god or any other magic pixie in the sky. I mean, a thousand years ago it was different. Nobody knew how the world worked, so they accepted the teachings of god as fact.

They might not think of god as such, or magic pixies, but in order to explain some exotic experience that seems very significant to them but outside the bounds of the mundane they might concoct another exotic explanation - like a "best fit" sort of thing.

Demons in the underworld, angels in the heavenly realms, fairies in their magical lands, etc. have all been used in the past as stories in our culture to contain our experiences that are out of the ordinary. Nowadays its alien beings in parallel dimensions or whatnot.

After reading Religion Explained by Pascal Boyer, Zen And The Brain by James H. Austin and Why God Won't Go Away by Andrew Newberg, Eugene G. D'Aquili, and Vince Rause
Ballantine I'm fairly sure that some people who are highly educated in scientific theory will have experiences and develop beliefs that would seem religious in nature just because of the way our brain is wired.

The difference might be that the experiences & beliefs would not be interpreted in a way that contradicted scientific understanding of the world. People from various cultures can have very similar religious experiences but their explanations for them and how they & others respond to them depends much on the culture.

kelltrill

Quote from: "i_am_i"I would tend to agree, I guess. But it's impossible for anyone to grow up in this country without being exposed to religion in some way, shape or form.

You guys should check out The God Gene by Dean Hamer as well as Knowledge of Angels by Jill Paton Walsh. The latter is a brilliant work of fiction and I beg everyone to check it out. It considers the possibility of knowledge of God being innate in a feral child. Incredible work with great philosophical dialogue in it between an atheist and a Christian.
Personally I think that if a child was raised on science from the get go there would be no room for religion in their lives. Religion is outdated and medieval, and the need to believe in a deity in this day and age is completely obsolete.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

buttercupbaby

I think its BS.  We have a brain that's made to see patterns.   It can also be irrational and illogical, connecting ideas based on faulty logic.   This can lead an out of body feeling or a deep meditative feeling to mean something religious if that's what the person believes or is exposed to.   Drugs can do the same thing.  

Plus the article mentions that when the brain is damaged, increased in spirituality occurs.   That only reinforces the notion that its not something that's meant to be there...or that religious people are brain damaged.
If we evolved from a lower life form, why are there still  creationists?  

Chewbie Chan

Quote from: "buttercupbaby"I think its BS.  We have a brain that's made to see patterns.   It can also be irrational and illogical, connecting ideas based on faulty logic.   This can lead an out of body feeling or a deep meditative feeling to mean something religious if that's what the person believes or is exposed to.   Drugs can do the same thing.  

Plus the article mentions that when the brain is damaged, increased in spirituality occurs.   That only reinforces the notion that its not something that's meant to be there...or that religious people are brain damaged.
buttercupbaby one form the irrational & illogical take is prejudice. To me that's what your post was really about.