News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Would you put on the God-helmet?

Started by Qtipie, March 03, 2010, 08:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qtipie

Recently, I read about transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), and the helmet invented by Dr. Persinger. I understand, that some 80% of the test persons experienced the feeling of a "higher reality" or "the presence".

Assumed you knew exactly, that the TMS-helmet will convert atheists into believers (with a probability of 80%), would you put on that helmet?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Tanker

It doesn't "convert" anyone. It produces feelings of a higher reality.

How could you equate having a divice directly affect you brains operation as proof of conversion. If I got extremly high on drugs I could feel the same way but it wouldn't be a normaly functioning brain either.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

curiosityandthecat

The same feelings (and thus the same areas of the brain) fire like crazy during a grand mal seizure. What's your point?
-Curio

Whitney

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

Will

Frankly, I'd like to try it during sex.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

I only answered no because I won't want to put on a helmet that would fry my brain so much that I'd suddenly think that having an electrically induced higher experience means a god exists.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Whitney"I only answered no because I won't want to put on a helmet that would fry my brain so much that I'd suddenly think that having an electrically induced higher experience means a god exists.

Part of me wishes this was like reddit ... because I would up-vote this comment.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Kidnapkid

Dawkins put the helmet on. Nothing happened to him. Apparently most (or all) of the people they use the helmet on have to go through a screening process and extensive questionnaire to make sure they already have a suggestible brain. Which to me makes the whole experiment biased. I'd put it on because I'm fairly sure that, like Dawkins, nothing would happen to me. And it would be good to see how many people it doesn't work on.
"We never know just where our bones will rest. To dust, I guess. Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below." -Billy Corgan

Mediocrates

I recall Dr Susan Blackmore trying something similar, if not the same, quite some time ago in a documentary about alien abduction.

karadan

Quote from: "Kidnapkid"Dawkins put the helmet on. Nothing happened to him. Apparently most (or all) of the people they use the helmet on have to go through a screening process and extensive questionnaire to make sure they already have a suggestible brain. Which to me makes the whole experiment biased. I'd put it on because I'm fairly sure that, like Dawkins, nothing would happen to me. And it would be good to see how many people it doesn't work on.

Hmm, sounds a bit like the scientology initiation.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "Kidnapkid"Dawkins put the helmet on. Nothing happened to him. Apparently most (or all) of the people they use the helmet on have to go through a screening process and extensive questionnaire to make sure they already have a suggestible brain. Which to me makes the whole experiment biased. I'd put it on because I'm fairly sure that, like Dawkins, nothing would happen to me. And it would be good to see how many people it doesn't work on.

Hmm, sounds a bit like the scientology initiation.

Only if they require money up front...
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

karadan

Quote from: "LoneMateria"Only if they require money up front...

And a huge supply of thetans :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Birdcrazy

I already had an experience like that before, not the helmet though. Occasionally someone experiencing psychosis will enter that state of mind, (hence the name Birdcrazy as my screen name, I'm medicated now and respond well to meds)

You feel perfectly at peace, at one with the universe... and I thought I was God's chosen one.... but yeah, investigating this further when I was well, it's a brain thing only.

And if it happened to me again, it would not convert me, I would realize my medication needs adjusting.

Ihateyoumike

"The God-Helmet." I'm gonna start calling condoms that name.
"Hold on baby... Gotta throw on a God-Helmet." I like it.
 :bananacolor:
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.