News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Howdy, folks!

Started by Johndigger, March 23, 2007, 01:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johndigger

Hey there, guys!

I'm a 17 year old guy from Britain, I'm also a Christian (A Roman Catholic to be somewhat precise), I'm not here to tell you you're all going to hell or try convert you or whatever; I'm just here to check you out and chat a bit really, viewing both your opinions and your reasons for Atheism.

I hope my presence here doesn't annoy you guys, too much. ;)

JD

SteveS

Hello Johndigger,

Quote from: "Johndigger"I'm not here to tell you you're all going to hell or try convert you or whatever
That's a relief, I was about to turn   :wink:  

Cheers,
Steve

brainshmain

Welcome, John

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Johndigger"Hey there, guys!

I'm a 17 year old guy from Britain, I'm also a Christian (A Roman Catholic to be somewhat precise), I'm not here to tell you you're all going to hell or try convert you or whatever; I'm just here to check you out and chat a bit really, viewing both your opinions and your reasons for Atheism.

I hope my presence here doesn't annoy you guys, too much. ;)

JD

Welcome to the forum, JD.  

As an atheist and former Roman Catholic, I can safely say there is zero chance you will change my mind.   I can't speak for the others, but then again I don't have to...we're a lively bunch.

Johndigger

Quote from: "MommaSquid"I can safely say there is zero chance you will change my mind.

Did I say I was here to change your mind? In fact, I said the opposite - I've already clarified that wasn't - and isn't - the objective.

JD

Squid

Hola.

Whitney

Welcome to the forum, JD.

What's it like being a Christian in Britian...I've heard you are the minority there (just heard, not exactly sure if it is true).

Johndigger

Well, we've got the fairly typical Western decadence in society, which somewhat degrades all religions in the country.

In terms of people being baptised - I guess that's probably most people. But, in terms of people actually following and practicing religion, that's pretty much in the minority.

Although our country is official Protestant (Which one of the the 2344387423 million denominations, I do not know. ;)) due to a large amount of immigrants there are more Catholics than Protestants.

No doubt, you'll be pleased to here that we're fighting a losing battle.

Although, you may not be so happy when you see how many unhappy people/broken marriges etc, there are.

I guess you guys think they arn't correlated.

JD

Whitney

Right, I don't think there is a correlation.  The atheist/agnostic divorce rate in america is less than that of the religious.  So, other factors must be at play.  http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

anway, it's never a good thing when a lot of people aren't enjoying their lives.

Johndigger

Quote from: "laetusatheos"So, other factors must be at play.

There are definitely other factors, involved, I've seen so many reports saying so many different things - I highly doubt any of them are too accurate. I'll have a poke around for some official statistics.

Also, I would like to make distinction between "Being a Christian" and "Living a Christian life."

JD