News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

ADHD and Atheism

Started by Kidnapkid, February 09, 2010, 06:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidnapkid

I've been reading a lot of Dawkins lately and watching old atheist tv shows from Brittan and there was something that struck me as odd. Some scientists were talking about epilepsy and religious phenomenon. How over active nerves in the temporal lobe of the brain can cause religious like hallucinations. And I was like "Well, holy $^!#!!!" I have Temporal Lobe ADHD, basically a less active temporal response causing a side effect of unjustified anger. Could this be part of the reason I've been an atheist ever since I realized that people were worshiping a god, and not really caring. If there's a scientific cause for religious behavior could my ADHD be a scientific reason for my atheism? And if so what does that mean? There's still no god? Ha! I am right.

Seriously though....
"We never know just where our bones will rest. To dust, I guess. Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below." -Billy Corgan

Ellainix

To put icing on the cake, you will have images of your indoctrinated religion because you are indoctrinated. The intensity and accuracy of these visions are directly related to how much religion has been burned into your head. It is difficult to disregard meaningless visions when they reflect your belief system and (mis)understanding of reality. In the indoctrinated mind, you actually believe you have received evidence of your faith. It is important to read the Bible and understand what it says so that your delusions will be within stretchable church canon.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

SSY

Old atheist TV shows from Britain? Please share.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Kidnapkid

QuoteRe: ADHD and Atheism

Postby SSY » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:14 am
Old atheist TV shows from Britain? Please share.

I was mostly thinking of an old episode of Horizon, namely 'God on the Brain' which originally aired in 2003 according to imdb.  Was watching streaming TV online, randomly looking up some of Dawkins' tv appearances.I have no real idea which player I was using TVOkay maybe.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0605155/ For IMDB's listing.
"We never know just where our bones will rest. To dust, I guess. Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below." -Billy Corgan

elliebean

[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Kidnapkid

Now that I have my laptop back from the repair shop I poked around a bit and finally found a link to BBC Horizon God on the Brain streaming video. http://www.tv-links.cc/documentary/horizon-god-on-the-brain.htm So watch and learn, and enjoy.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: "Ellainix"To put icing on the cake, you will have images of your indoctrinated religion because you are indoctrinated. The intensity and accuracy of these visions are directly related to how much religion has been burned into your head. It is difficult to disregard meaningless visions when they reflect your belief system and (mis)understanding of reality. In the indoctrinated mind, you actually believe you have received evidence of your faith. It is important to read the Bible and understand what it says so that your delusions will be within stretchable church canon.

Yep, and also the suggestibility that Christianity relies on to yank an emotional response is quite advanced, and it serves to confirm and especially emotionally heighten what they already believe, and make them believe based more and more on pure emotion. Forget reality, logic or empirical evidence, they feel the love.   :yay:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey