News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Show me your atheist ammo...

Started by Eclecticsaturn, March 21, 2007, 06:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticsaturn

Well everyone, during my continuous insomniatic web searches ive found many quotes, phrases, verses,etc that have been able to help me understand as well help me see the contradictions and ridiculas things out there in the bible/s. Ultimatly to use as ammo. Heres what i have so far (mind you i have barely started collecting stuff for like a week so far.) What things do you guys have that you could share?

Atheists points:

Ecclesiastes 4:12
acord of three strands is not quickly broken. (relationships that include god are much stronger)

1999 christian socialogist George Barna posted
divorse rate:
Born again christians 27% chance
Mainstrean protestants 24% chance
Atheists and agnostics 21% chance

Matthew 27:52-53
52The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had
   died were raised to life.
53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they
   went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Mark 3:29
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven;
he is guilty of an eternal sin."

in context:  30He said this because they were saying, "He has an evil spirit."

Luke 12:10
And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven,
but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Matthew 12:32 (New King James Version)
32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever
speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the
age to come.

Leviticus 24

A Blasphemer Stoned
 10 Now the son of an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father went out among the Israelites,
and a fight broke out in the camp between him and an Israelite.
11 The son of the Israelite woman blasphemed the Name with a curse; so they brought him to
Moses. (His mother's name was Shelomith, the daughter of Dibri the Danite.)
12 They put him in custody until the will of the LORD should be made clear to them.
 13 Then the LORD said to Moses:
14 "Take the blasphemer outside the camp. All those who heard him are to lay their hands on
 his head, and the entire assembly is to stone him.
15 Say to the Israelites: 'If anyone curses his God, he will be held responsible;
16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must
stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death.

17 " 'If anyone takes the life of a human being, he must be put to death.
18 Anyone who takes the life of someone's animal must make restitutionâ€"life for life.
19 If anyone injures his neighbor, whatever he has done must be done to him:
20 fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he
is to be injured.
21 Whoever kills an animal must make restitution, but whoever kills a man must be put to
death.
22 You are to have the same law for the alien and the native-born. I am the LORD your God.' "

Original Pledge of allegience:

'I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.' (aug 1892)

under god added in 1954 after campiegned by the nights of columbus (a catholic organization)

1957 in god we trust added to bills
1864 in god we trust added to coins

Joseph Smith wrote thirteen Articles of Faith in the mormanism belief.

Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children,
his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple."

Dragons in heaven: Revelation 12

SteveS

Hey eclecticsaturn, good topic.  Here's a few I like.

For use when someone quotes,

Psalm 14:1
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

counter-quote

Mathew 5:22
"but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Then add something about "please don't endanger yourself over little ole me"

Some really good places to find good biblical contradictions/inconsistencies are:
Skeptic's Annotated Bible
Brick Testament

Personally, I love the brick testament.
Also good are articles from The Skeptical Review magazine.  Here's a link to one I used to debate my Jehovah's Witness friends: Bad History in the Book of Daniel

For Creationist/I.D. stuff I like:

Talk Origins Archive and especially 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution

Someone might have a better site on this one, but here's a link to an article that details how a frame-shift mutation in a Japanese bacterium allowed it to metabolize nylon.  The author astutely points out that the newly evolved protein is "irreducibly complex" (hahaha).  Here's the link: http://www.nmsr.org/nylon.htm

Found a short time ago here in our own Happy Atheist Forum, this article by Squid is excellent: 14 Points Rebuttal

Here's a link to a Real Audio stream that contains Michael Shermer debating Jonathan Wells at the CATO institute: http://www.cato.org/realaudio/cbf-10-12-06.ram
What's really great about this debate is seeing first hand how, in the face of scholarly criticism, I.D. has to drop any claim that "God" is the designer.  Jonathan Wells specifically mentions that it could be an alien (hahaha).  He also isn't able to give any good answers to alot of the questions at the end of the session (IMHO).

Anyway, these are a few of my favorites at the moment.  Hope some of these help stock the ammo dump.

Eclecticsaturn

some good ammo Steve, thanks.

who else?....

Eclecticsaturn

wow, the Skeptic's Annotated Bible  website is great.

SteveS

Oh, wait a minute, I forgot one that speaks to your pledge of allegiance issues, and also the "in god we trust" on the money.  I like this "ammo" for use in Christian-nation type arguments, it's the 1796 peace treaty between the young United States of America and the nation of Tripoli.  Here's the link to the Wiki article.  I discovered this in Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion" book.  The best part of the treaty is the opening line of Article 11:

QuoteAs the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;

What's great is that most "Christian nation" type people argue from things the founding fathers exchanged in personal letters to each other.  This text is in a document that is far more public;  it was signed by John Adams (as President) and the Secretary of State, and was then ratified by the Senate.

Squid

Some biblical errancy stuff:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theism/christianity/errancy.html

http://members.aol.com/ckbloomfld/

Holy Books Compendium - KJV Bible, Skeptic's Annotated Bible, The Apocrypha, The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Koran, The Book of Mormon and the Egyptian Book of the Dead (in pdf BEWARE it's friggin huge- over 4000 page):

http://www.atheistcoalition.com/communitydownloads/Holy%20Books%20Compendium.pdf

donkeyhoty

when the religious invariably state in their feeble minded manner an effete refutation of evolution, "We aint come from monkeys!", I choose to defecate in my hand and throw my shit upon them.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Will

The only way to really do it is to make them see the whole thing from our perspective, so I usually hit them with this:

"Why believe in god and not Zeus?"

Usually the reasons they give for not believing in Zeus are easily applicable to god, and you've given them something they already understand to relate to.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Scrybe

Ammo?  I wasn't aware there was a war!
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

SteveS

Quote from: "Scrybe"Ammo? I wasn't aware there was a war!
Heh, this sounds like a hung-over private in the Wehrmacht who just woke up on a nice day in September, 1939, and discovered he was in Poland (haha - I borrowed this from Robin Williams).

You better get fitted for your flak jacket.  You'll need your service number and shoe size.  Oh, and take your salt tablets.   :wink:

SteveS

Back to the topic, I can't believe I forgot this one: Project Steve
This is a whimsical project, a list of scientists with doctorates that accept evolution, and only the ones named "Steve" are allowed on the list (I really like this one for some reason, maybe the name?  I don't know...).

It's useful when someone tries to make a big fuss about scientists that reject evolution (Michael Behe, Alton Williams, Francis Collins, etc.).

The Steve-o-meter reports the number of members at the current time (793 when I checked just now).

Scrybe

Hahaha!  That's funny. :D
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Eclecticsaturn

hey does anyone know the verse or psalm that talks about how to prove if your a real christian or believer? It has references to speaking in tounges and rolling on the florr and stuff like that.

P.s.: Any more ammo guys/gals?

Scrybe

The ones I've always heard atheists use is this one:

Mar 16:17  [highlight=red]And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; [/highlight]
Mar 16:18  [highlight=red]they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover."[/highlight]

Whitney

Quote from: "Eclecticsaturn"wow, the Skeptic's Annotated Bible  website is great.

That's my favorite because I like to check context in preparation for the out of context defense.

The best "ammo" (lol) is almost any verse dealing with slavery or treatment of women.