News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Sociology book recommendations?

Started by AlP, February 05, 2010, 04:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlP

I've been reading a book about Émile Durkheim and am finding myself fascinated with sociology. There appear to be a number of college 101 sociology textbooks. Does anyone have any recommendations, textbook or otherwise?
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Whitney

I took a sociology course on death and dying that I thought was interesting, this was our textbook:

Confronting Death:  Values, Institutions, and Human Morality
http://www.amazon.com/Confronting-Death ... 0195042964

AlP

^ Ooh! That looks interesting. It's in my Amazon wish list. I think I'll get a book that's more general in scope first though. Thanks Whitney. :)

AlP

And on the subject of death... I think I'll get "The Letter from Death" by Lillian Moats. I read another excerpt than the one on Amazon in Humanist magazine and I liked it. It appears to be a deconstruction of death. They wouldn't say that in Humanist magazine of course! I wonder whether they even noticed the post-modernist themes.  lol

Sophus

Erich Fromm. You will love him! Escape From Freedom, To Have Or To Be?, or The Art of Loving. I'm always kind of promoting him here... don't know if anyone else has read anything of his yet. But, yes, he's absolutely marvelous.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver