News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Joining from Wisconsin

Started by MattC, March 20, 2007, 07:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattC

Hello and a thank you to Google for helping me find this site.

I'm 23, graduating from UW-Madison in May after studying English and Marketing.  I became agnostic around the age of 16 after realizing that the convincing experience I had of God's presence was actually a dizzying effect from not having enough oxygen to my brain while I was sobbing.   The experience happened when I was about 14, before which I never paid much attention to the religious notions outside of what I had to memorize for Sunday School.  After a period of agnosticism, around 19 I decided I was an atheist, and at 22  I realized that atheism is more than being anti-religion.  I'm not against religions; I'm opposed to immoralities, as judged by an objective standard.

I participated in a school club that was formed for Atheists, Humanists, and Agnostics, but left that when it turned into a Christian bash-fest.  I'm hoping now to find an atheist community that's about being who we are rather than proving who we are not.

Though I am rather opinionated, I am also quite amiable--my humor is mainly ironic (I actually believe that irony is the root of all humor).  Engage me in an argument, and I come to it with a willingness to learn--I'm willing to lose if your argument is stronger than my own.

I look forward to meeting all of you as I spend time on the forums.

Best,
Matt

Squid

Welcome aboard Matt.

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your upcoming graduation.

SteveS

Hi Matt!  Madison Wisconsin, huh?  That's very near my neck of the woods.  I'm down in a Chicago suburb.  Welcome, and cheers!

Eclecticsaturn

welcome. Its sucks that the school club turned into a bash-feast, but its kinda cool that they offered that kinda club imo. Welcome again

McQ

Aloha!

Glad to have you, and thanks for the background intro, Matt.

Congratulations, as well!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Scrybe

Quote from: "MattC"I am also quite amiable--my humor is mainly ironic (I actually believe that irony is the root of all humor).  Engage me in an argument, and I come to it with a willingness to learn--I'm willing to lose if your argument is stronger than my own.

I like your style, sir!
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Whitney

Hey Matt, welcome to the forum.