News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Greetings Philosophers of all assortments.

Started by ShyFrog, January 12, 2010, 04:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShyFrog

Hello, lately I have been thinking more and more about my atheism, which, while signing up to this site, has lead me to believe that I am actually a free-thinker.  If someone could enlighten me on that, it would be much appreciated.  Anyway, I have been thinking more and more about it, looking through atheism sites, and decided that because I always join forums based on things I am interested in, why not join an atheistic forum?  So that's how I ended up here. :brick:  when my mom thought I was lying about something.  In 4th grade, my first year in a catholic school, I stopped believing in God. Sad, but true.  Actually, it isn't sad. I am quite proud to be part of the minority.

Well, I can't think of much else to say.   Thanks for reading.

The Boatman

Nice to meet you, ShyFrog. :) Welcome to the forum.

So, I've often heard the term free-thinker, but I wasn't sure what exactly it meant until I Wiki'd it two seconds after reading your post. Apparently free-thinker is a definition for anyone who forms their opinions based on evidence and reason, as opposed to tradition. I suppose that this doesn't necessarily refer only to the non-religious, but I certainly think that it is a term often associated with atheists.

Anyways, anything to tell about you personally?

Ellainix

Being bound to things like logic, reason, and evidence doesn't sound like very "free" thinking to me.

;)
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

ShyFrog

Well, I find it more free than following the whole, "You cannot eat meat on fridays." deal.  Along with all of the other things that religions have you do with no good cause.

frog818

Oh WOW! There's another frog on the forum.  Let me greet you in our native tongue.

*Ribbit* *Ribbit* *Ribbit* *Ribbit* *Ribbit* *Ribbit*

Arrrrrhhhhhhh the sounding of the march of the frogs, totally golden.  Tree frogs unite!!!!

I should stop now before I freak you out anymore.  I don't post here that much, but I'd like to say welcome anyway.
Warning! Gentle pressure may be applied for a more positive outlook.