News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Out of Body Experiences

Started by Sophus, January 05, 2010, 03:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Who gets to experience them? I mean, what conditions must be met? It sounds like a lot of fun and makes there at least one thing to look forward to when dying.  :D
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

G-Roll

drop some acid and take a nap? i dunno, but it does sound like fun. let me know if you figure it out...  :pop:
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

Whitney

Quote from: "Sophus"Who gets to experience them? I mean, what conditions must be met? It sounds like a lot of fun and makes there at least one thing to look forward to when dying.  :D

They can be induced under lab conditions...so just get a scientist to mess with your head.

Squid

Electrical stimulation of the right angular gyrus seems to elicit full OBEs.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "G-Roll"drop some acid and take a nap? i dunno, but it does sound like fun. let me know if you figure it out...  :) It's hard to do the first time, hah.
-Curio

G-Roll

Quote from: "Squid"Electrical stimulation of the right angular gyrus seems to elicit full OBEs.

yeah stimulate right angle.....gyro.......shock 90 degrees....

uhhhhhh my brain hurts just trying to figure out what that is or means  :drool
Allah (that mean God)

Sophus

I'm just wondering if this is something most people experience when they actually die (depending upon how they die). Don't most go unconscious before they die and therefore they don't really ever experience dying?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Sophus"I'm just wondering if this is something most people experience when they actually die (depending upon how they die). Don't most go unconscious before they die and therefore they don't really ever experience dying?
Isn't dying really just a permanent loss of consciousness?  Theoretically it shouldn't be any different from when you're put to sleep under general anesthetic. :D
-Curio

Squid

Quote from: "G-Roll"
Quote from: "Squid"Electrical stimulation of the right angular gyrus seems to elicit full OBEs.

uhhhhhh my brain hurts just trying to figure out what that is or means  :drool

The angular gyrus is a part of the temporo-parietal junction.  Back in 2002 a Swedish neurosurgeon found that stimulating a woman's right angular gyrus at particular millivolts he could elicit a full OBE in her.  She was undergoing surgery for epilepsy and the surgeon stumbled upon the event by accident when the woman stated she felt like she was "sinking" slightly (brain surgery patients are kept conscious during most procedures and so they can provide feedback to the surgeon).

If I remember correctly he and others later replicated those findings in other individuals.

Quote from: "Sophus"I'm just wondering if this is something most people experience when they actually die (depending upon how they die). Don't most go unconscious before they die and therefore they don't really ever experience dying?

If I remember correctly, experiencing of NDEs is rare and OBEs don't always occur with NDEs.  Also, OBEs happen to those who aren't experiencing NDEs are not even experiencing any life threating illness - some severe migraine sufferers regular experience OBEs.

G-Roll

Quote from: "Squid"

uhhhhhh my brain hurts just trying to figure out what that is or means  :D
Allah (that mean God)

Sophus

Quote from: "Squid"The angular gyrus is a part of the temporo-parietal junction.  Back in 2002 a Swedish neurosurgeon found that stimulating a woman's right angular gyrus at particular millivolts he could elicit a full OBE in her.  She was undergoing surgery for epilepsy and the surgeon stumbled upon the event by accident when the woman stated she felt like she was "sinking" slightly (brain surgery patients are kept conscious during most procedures and so they can provide feedback to the surgeon).

If I remember correctly he and others later replicated those findings in other individuals.

Lol thank you but im thinking its a lost cause. way over my head... i think my angular gyrus will be sore in the morning  :D

Ha ha... me too. I guess what I'm asking is... someone who takes a bullet to the head probably would never experience an OBE whereas someone shot in the stomach would? Is there any way to know what percentage of people have them when actually dying?

Squid

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Squid"The angular gyrus is a part of the temporo-parietal junction.  Back in 2002 a Swedish neurosurgeon found that stimulating a woman's right angular gyrus at particular millivolts he could elicit a full OBE in her.  She was undergoing surgery for epilepsy and the surgeon stumbled upon the event by accident when the woman stated she felt like she was "sinking" slightly (brain surgery patients are kept conscious during most procedures and so they can provide feedback to the surgeon).

Lol thank you but im thinking its a lost cause. way over my head... i think my angular gyrus will be sore in the morning  :D

Ha ha... me too. I guess what I'm asking is... someone who takes a bullet to the head probably would never experience an OBE whereas someone shot in the stomach would? Is there any way to know what percentage of people have them when actually dying?

It's difficult to really know since the ones who die don't come back and tell us, it's only those who are revived that can tell us.

Sophus

Ha ha. Well yes I know that. But if we indeed know what causes it I thought we would be able to at least make an educated guess. It seems so long as you don't die instantly you should be likely to experience one.

Squid

Quote from: "Sophus"Ha ha. Well yes I know that. But if we indeed know what causes it I thought we would be able to at least make an educated guess. It seems so long as you don't die instantly you should be likely to experience one.

From what I've read most people who are resuscitated from the brink of death don't experience an OBE or an NDE, it seems it's not a common phenomenon.

Ultima22689

Eat enough shrooms, you'll get there,  OBE are trippy.