News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

I come from the 10th dimension

Started by nikkmichalski, January 01, 2010, 01:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikkmichalski

There's lines, and squares, and cu-ubes, et cet'ra.
But do you recall...the most intellectually stimulating dimension of all?

Ba dum, bum, bum...

It's in the 10th dimension, it includes infinity.
It's all there ever wa-as, or anything that there could be!

I won't go on to spare you poor listeners. Here's a YouTube video about the 10 dimensions. It gets really mind-boggling around the sixth or seventh dimension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxieS-6WuA -- part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBaYMESb8o -- part 2

What do you guys think? The narrator has a very calming voice, and seems like a pretty nice guy.
Ford: "It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water." -- Douglas Adams, H2G2
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5

AlP

It was written By Rob Bryanton. It's his ideas about string theory. This is what he said in the preamble to the accompanying book.

Quote from: "Rob Bryanton"Preamble

The "theory of reality" that I advance on this website and in the book "Imagining the Tenth Dimension" is not the one that is commonly accepted by today's physicists. Anyone wanting to know more about the currently established thinking behind string theory and the tenth or eleventh dimension should refer to such excellent books as "Parallel Worlds" by Michio Kaku, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, or "Warped Passages" by Lisa Randall.

I invite you to think of this as an entertaining diversion that for some people will have a strong and thought-provoking connection to their impression of how the world really works. If you click on "The Forum", you will be taken to a page that gives readers an opportunity to debate the concepts presented in the book and this website more fully. Enjoy!
Link

Had he not made that qualification, I would have called baloney!

Who is he and why might he have credibility regarding string theory? Turn's out he's a composer and doesn't mention any physics background on his blogger profile. Yup, that's the same Rob Bryanton.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

nikkmichalski

Fantastic. So, basically, all of the video/book's content is just made up?  :shake:
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5

AlP

Quote from: "nikkmichalski"Fantastic. So, basically, all of the video/book's content is just made up?  :shake:
Some of them will be. The difference is reputable scientists can't just pull something out of their ass and say that it's right. They have to be able to use the theory to predict something about reality. I don't think string theory has achieved anything like that. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Maybe it'll inform something else. Who knows...

SSY

I read the book a few years ago, as he honestly writes in the preamble, it is an interesting way of looking at things, and not a lot more. Having said that, in my younger years, it was written in a book, and sounded cool, so to me it seemed to be the absolute truth.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

nikkmichalski

Oh, well thanks for clearing that up for me, guys.

AlP

I give you a baloney detection kit so that next time you come across something like "the 10th dimension" you can call baloney yourself!

[youtube:32gqukp1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUB4j0n2UDU[/youtube:32gqukp1]

joeactor

Ahhhh!!!

Lektroids from  Planet Ten!!!

(I sees 'em I tell 'ya!),
JoeActor

curiosityandthecat

If you ask me (and nobody did  :)

(Oh, and bonus points to him for the Pink Floyd reference.  :bananacolor: )
-Curio

ShyFrog

I am planning on going to college for studying this kind of thing, if anyone knows, could you tell me if this is metaphysics or quantum physics?  I really would like to know.  Also, physicists added in an 11th dimension which actually summed it all up.  Look up m-theory.  Everyone thinks I'm crazy but I believe this is how the... everything? really is. (can't say universe because it contains the universe along with all other universes from every possible starting point to every possible ending point including any possible paths/obstructions on the way to each.)

Never mind, I clicked on the link and it stated that it was particle physics.  I am a bit "iffy" on that so I'll look it up.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "ShyFrog"Never mind, I clicked on the link and it stated that it was particle physics.  I am a bit "iffy" on that so I'll look it up.
It's particle physics in the same sense that molecular gastronomy is cooking, really. And it's all highly theoretical. Utterly amazing and fantastic but a total mindfuck.  :crazy:
-Curio

ShyFrog

It is, indeed, a mindfuck. I have been studying and reading up on this kind of stuff for a little over a year now. I have never been interested in this as anything before.  So is it particle physics or is it some kind of philosophy, namely metaphysics?

edit: Here we go! I found it, it's theoretical physics.  I can't believe how obvious that was, but I finally found it. Finally!

jrosebud

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"If you ask me (and nobody did  :)

(Oh, and bonus points to him for the Pink Floyd reference.  :)
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "jrosebud"Thanks for posting this.   :)
-Curio

karadan

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"If you ask me (and nobody did  :)

(Oh, and bonus points to him for the Pink Floyd reference.  :bananacolor: )

I watched that the other week and was enthralled. He is a great orator too.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.