News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

N. Zealand: Xtian xmas billboard defaced by other Xtians

Started by VietnamVet-BRIGHT, December 18, 2009, 12:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

What's interesting about this story is that this is a Christian church billboard defaced by other Christians ...

QuoteAn unholy row has broken out in New Zealand over a church billboard aimed at "challenging stereotypes" about the birth of Jesus Christ.

A dejected-looking Joseph lies in bed next to Mary under the caption, "Poor Joseph. God was a hard act to follow".

St Matthew-in-the-City Church in Auckland, which erected the billboard, said it had intended to provoke debate.

But the Catholic Church, among others, has condemned it as "inappropriate" and "disrespectful".

Within hours of its unveiling, the billboard had been defaced with brown paint.

The church's vicar, Archdeacon Glynn Cardy, said the aim of the billboard had been to lampoon the literal interpretation of the Christmas conception story.

More ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8417963.stm

Before ...

After (within hours) ...

LoneMateria

I read it took less then five hours to end up defaced.  Thats church on church crap though.  If they aren't afraid to deface an atheist billboard they aren't afraid to deface a Christian one.  The thing is this billboard is doing exactly what it was supposed to.  That is promote discussion about Jesus.  It's great though that the attempt to censor the photo is putting it on the news and all over the internet.  -1 for the defacers.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

Quote from: "LoneMateria"I read it took less then five hours to end up defaced.  Thats church on church crap though.  If they aren't afraid to deface an atheist billboard they aren't afraid to deface a Christian one.  The thing is this billboard is doing exactly what it was supposed to.  That is promote discussion about Jesus.  It's great though that the attempt to censor the photo is putting it on the news and all over the internet.  -1 for the defacers.

Notice from the article that it was a Catholic church that complained about the Protestant church's billboard.  Catholics worship, pray to and rank the Virgin Mary character higher than any saint and just a notch below the God and Jesus characters.  Protestants, in contrast, give no ritual attention to her and, moreover, outright condemn Catholics' ritual and theological obsession with this character.

Will

Quote from: "VietnamVet-BRIGHT"Notice from the article that it was a Catholic church that complained about the Protestant church's billboard.  Catholics worship, pray to and rank the Virgin Mary character higher than any saint and just a notch below the God and Jesus characters.  Protestants, in contrast, give no ritual attention to her and, moreover, outright condemn Catholics' ritual and theological obsession with this character.
Reminds me of the difference between Sunni and Shiite Muslims.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Will"
Quote from: "VietnamVet-BRIGHT"Notice from the article that it was a Catholic church that complained about the Protestant church's billboard.  Catholics worship, pray to and rank the Virgin Mary character higher than any saint and just a notch below the God and Jesus characters.  Protestants, in contrast, give no ritual attention to her and, moreover, outright condemn Catholics' ritual and theological obsession with this character.

I'm just glad this isn't Ireland.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.

G-Roll

Quote from: "LoneMateria"
Quote from: "Will"

I'm just glad this isn't Ireland.

they would have blown up the billboard?
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

LoneMateria

Quote from: "G-Roll"they would have blown up the billboard?

No they'd have gone into the church and started murdering people.

G-Roll

oh, thats much worse. i still think they would blow up the billboard. before or after all the murder...
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

Big Mac

Quote from: "G-Roll"

oh, thats much worse. i still think they would blow up the billboard. before or after all the murder...

It's what a loving god would want, damn it!!!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Ninteen45

Now I can be re-gognizod!