News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Am I addicted to Science?

Started by Ultima22689, October 25, 2009, 01:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

I've always been fascinated by science ever since I was little, instead of idolizing athletes and action heroes I idolized men(never really saw any women but I probably would have if there were any popular ones when I young) of science. I remember telling my mom how I wanted to be Bill Nye when I grew up and I remember going to see Beakmen live when I was 8 or so and out of hundreds of kids he chose me to come on stage. I would watch NOVA instead of cartoons whenever I could and this went on for most of life and once I got into my teens I began reading articles feverishly that had anything I found remotely interesting. When I couldn't find anything to read for long stints of time I became kinda depressed about it. My grandparents always found my love for science unhealthy but then again they are fundamentalists. I remember when I first heard of Kurzweil, trans-humanism and I began to consider myself a futurist from then on. It was like a crackhead finding a mountain of crack and i've feverishly read anything to do with the subject, I think it's obvious my enthusiasm for it from my previous post and I was only 14 when I heard of Kurzweil, one of the most impressionable ages if I remember correctly so I wonder, am I addicted to this stuff? Is this passion unhealthy? Thoughts?

templeboy

of all the things it is possible to be addicted to, its probably one of the best! Think of it this way: maybe you are an addictive personality, in which case being addicted to science is so much preferable to all the other things you could be instead addicted to.....

The world needs more armchair scientists.
"The fool says in his heart: 'There is no God.' The Wise Man says it to the world."- Troy Witte

Renegnicat

Quote"This is God speaking. Yes, that's right, the god. I'm sorry for not validating my existence sooner, but those damned yuppie christians, they drool over me like I was pamela anderson's third tit. Disgusting. Oh! Yes, right. I am here to tell you that I have foreseen your future, and just to let you know, if you want to fulfill it, you'll follow your dreams of science. I wholeheartedly approve of you pursuing science. As a career even! It's a hell of a lot better than the career my jackass son has chosen. I'm so dissappointed in him... Oh! yes. Right. Just keep it up, ok? I need somebody to find the holy chainsaw of evolution, ahem, and if you keep going the way you're going, I'm pretty sure you'll find it, kid. Oh, look at the time, those damn fundamentalists are praying again. *turns* I hear you you bunch of whiners! Stop bitching and I'll get back to you. *snicker* I never do." -- God

Wow. That was weird. It was like a strange force took over my body. Anyways, what's up with you guys? Eh?
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

Ultima22689

Nice post Ren. :)

I don't think I have an addictive personality aside from my love for cannabis but I guess if you had to be addicted to something it should be science.

grandiose

Quote from: "Ultima22689"I've always been fascinated by science ever since I was little, instead of idolizing athletes and action heroes I idolized men(never really saw any women but I probably would have if there were any popular ones when I young) of science. I remember telling my mom how I wanted to be Bill Nye when I grew up and I remember going to see Beakmen live when I was 8 or so and out of hundreds of kids he chose me to come on stage. I would watch NOVA instead of cartoons whenever I could and this went on for most of life and once I got into my teens I began reading articles feverishly that had anything I found remotely interesting. When I couldn't find anything to read for long stints of time I became kinda depressed about it. My grandparents always found my love for science unhealthy but then again they are fundamentalists. I remember when I first heard of Kurzweil, trans-humanism and I began to consider myself a futurist from then on. It was like a crackhead finding a mountain of crack and i've feverishly read anything to do with the subject, I think it's obvious my enthusiasm for it from my previous post and I was only 14 when I heard of Kurzweil, one of the most impressionable ages if I remember correctly so I wonder, am I addicted to this stuff? Is this passion unhealthy? Thoughts?

Even if you are, isn't that a good thing?
Atheism. Because reality is awesome.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "grandiose"
Quote from: "Ultima22689"I've always been fascinated by science ever since I was little, instead of idolizing athletes and action heroes I idolized men(never really saw any women but I probably would have if there were any popular ones when I young) of science. I remember telling my mom how I wanted to be Bill Nye when I grew up and I remember going to see Beakmen live when I was 8 or so and out of hundreds of kids he chose me to come on stage. I would watch NOVA instead of cartoons whenever I could and this went on for most of life and once I got into my teens I began reading articles feverishly that had anything I found remotely interesting. When I couldn't find anything to read for long stints of time I became kinda depressed about it. My grandparents always found my love for science unhealthy but then again they are fundamentalists. I remember when I first heard of Kurzweil, trans-humanism and I began to consider myself a futurist from then on. It was like a crackhead finding a mountain of crack and i've feverishly read anything to do with the subject, I think it's obvious my enthusiasm for it from my previous post and I was only 14 when I heard of Kurzweil, one of the most impressionable ages if I remember correctly so I wonder, am I addicted to this stuff? Is this passion unhealthy? Thoughts?

Even if you are, isn't that a good thing?

I guess so, it's just that whenever I have to go to a psychiatrist or something that act as if it's a negative thing.

nikkmichalski

I'm the same way. I got to see Bill Nye speak on Earth Day (about 3 days after my birthday) and I even got to meet him! (In the picture you can actually see the urine stain in my pants.)
Ford: "It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water." -- Douglas Adams, H2G2
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5

Renegnicat

[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

kylek

Ha, I have a similar addiction although I did not acquire it until later in life.  I was raised pretty much fundamentalist Christian and entered the military at the age of 17.  During that time I became very interested in the physical sciences and couldn't wait to have the opportunity to go back to college and learn.  I am currently majoring in physics about a year and a half shy of graduating.  I plan on going to grad school and possibly seeking a Ph.D  I seriously almost break into a sweat while listening to old interviews with incredible minds like Sagan or Feynman.  Especially Feynman because he is so incredibly enthusiastic and he gets so excited but at the same time can explain things so eloquently.  I just wish I had been more interested in high school.